1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine start Stand setup

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Bensville, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Hello.

Hopefully someone can help me with this setup.. What seems to be essentially straight forward, is simply not. I cant seem to see why as the background on this doesn't make sense to me..

I bought an 091 6 rib gearbox for the lowlight to replace the 002 3 rib for all the normal reasons.
    This box came with what I assumed would be its original starter. (BONUS)
    I performed the normal tasks of swapping the bell housing (clutch cover) and the input shaft, then put my original 002 starter back on the 002 bell mated to the 091 box.
    The overall length is now the same as the original length.. job done.

I now have extra parts... and with extra parts I want to put them to use.

I though i would use the spare 091 bell housing to turn my engine stand into a start stand to tune the engine outside of the bus.

I have the bell housing connected to the 1916 engine, which is sitting on the stand.
    I have the 091 starter connected to the bell housing.

I hit the improvised ignition switch and the starter fires into life, but does not engage the flywheel.

I get it if this is simply the wrong starter.. but what I dont get is how did this starter ever work on the 091 gearbox at all with the original owner..?

also is the starter the only problem here? Do i simply need a starter to suit the 091 bell house?

Hopefully someone can clear up this confusion...

here is the pic of the starter motor. and the part number: 001 211 012

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure thats a 1700/1800 starter...

3. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Ok ta. Just confirmed the bell and the part number on the side of the box. It's absolutely an 091. I also checked the starter that came with it and the shaft is too short even for that .. so I guess he just "chucked it in".
    Any idea of where I can get a starter to fit? ... Like a old working one... Or happy to trade if anyone reads this.

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

091 box is easy to id, it has 6 ribs cast into the casing (1600 002 has 3 ribs, 17/1800 has 5).
    Try a wanted ad on the forum for a 2nd-handy, or feebay maybe?

5. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Part number on the starter is not for a 2L.

6. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

yes I realise that as stated.. "chucked in". Do you the bosch part number i should be looking for? I see the SR87 would work, but i also seem to see alot of versions of this part number.

7. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Yeah, wasnt too worried about identifying the box, just could fathom why i got this starter with it.
    thanks, will do. :)

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@Bensville ever thought of a 1600 bellhousing instead if you have already got the starter, Only issue then is main shaft on gearbox for your engine start up set up.What has been done with that ?

9. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

I put the 1600 bell on the 091 box, and swapped the shaft from my 1600 box. I had to do something with the extra 091 bell-housing, so I figured a start stand with a 091 starter would do the trick.
    I am wanting to tune the engine outside of the bus before mating it to the new 091 gearbox.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]