1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine upgrade ???

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Guzzler Chief, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Turbos are oil cooled, now if you plumb a line from the case it will be hot oil already. If you plumb it after the cooler you will be having very hot oil fr cooling the turbo going back into the case. If you set up a seperate cooler so it just cools the turbo you will need an electric pump. Then there Is the heat from the turbo in the engine bay. Type 1engines Are cooled by the oil getting cooled by the fan, it might not work if the fan is blowing hot air from the engine bay over the oil cooler.just my thoughts

Dave

2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Beetles don't have this probl as they are not that heavy and most that I have seen have bootlid stand offs fitted so clean air goes straight into the engine bay to help with the cooling

Dave

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am more than happy with putting external coolers under the bus and putting in a 12 volt pump.
    Is it work while putting an extra air intake under the bus into the ungine bay? Just so long as I can control the water getting in?
    I have seen V6/V8 kombi photos with intakes cut into front panel. I would want it hidden however.

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

It's a 2ltr V4 2 stroke, not quite a kombi engine. I have an 1800 4 stroke that uses oil at the rate of a 2 stroke, does that count :lol: It incorporates the special kombi oil cooling system of exposes the oil to the moving airstream ensuring it is cool before spraying all over the car behind :eek: Still goes well, I think it must be that the air is oiled as it passes making a slip steam effect :D It does help settle the dust when travelling up a dirt road though, it settles and sticks to the back door and window :rolleyes:

T1 Terry

6. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Yes, the 2 stroke thing, and the flat torque curve, and the flywheel pointing the wrong way and a few other things mean it isn't quite right, but still. Cool motor.

I wouldn't mind a jetpack eh.

7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

You can get yourself into enough striff without a jet pack Wes :lol: I'd love a microlite but owning a kombi means I will never have any spare cash for toys :umm:
    If I didn't already have a lot of the bits to build another 1800 engine I'd be very tempted to build up a V6 commodore powered unit. Maybe one of the later multi cam units that rev high with aftermarket computer gear running liquid gas injection, then a mega strong gearbox to hold it all together.
    Dreaming again, between the bus project and being a kombi owner dreams are all I can afford lately and they finish halfway through. They don't even run the credits at the end because I can have anymore credit :lol: :lol:

T1 Terry