1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EV Kombis

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Voltwagen, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Not sure if this is the right section, but would like to start a discussion about getting rid of the ICE and going full electric.

I fully admit that most, if not all EV conversions in the past have been shit, but I feel the tide is turning! I also know that EV's are not as amazing for the enviroment as they claim yet, but it's the start of the change and it will get better in the future.

Over the past year i've been reading up more and more on what it would take to convert, unfortuantly it's not up to were I would like it to be yet but that doesn't stop me from talking about/researching/planning for when I will be converting.

For me I would like:

A conversion that is at most 50-60kg more than the current ICE set up (obviously lighter is better)
    Have a range of 450+km
    Have a power output that is nothing mind blowing but as good as an average modified ICE engine
    Direct drive so no gearbox, gearstick or clutch
    Regen braking
    Have fast charge capabilities of under 20 minutes for 80% charge
    Come in under $20k fitted (hopefully $15k)

I'm currently loving what https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/ are doing with their shop truck (it's a DC), I don't know the torque figure but 450hp & a 100kWh battery pack, they are expecting a range of 200-250 miles (321-400km). The battery pack weighs in at 400kg and they have fitted it with no lose of luggage space.

Tech is coming online for fast charging, see links - https://newatlas.com/porsche-450-kw-fastcharge-prototype/57659/ & https://smallcaps.com.au/porsche-new-electric-vehicle-taycan-increased-range-faster-charging/

But I feel the change will come when solid state batteries will become available at a good price - https://www.alphr.com/science/1008867/solid-state-battery-dyson-toyota

So what are your thoughts on the whole EV change? I already know there will be a lot of people here negative on the subject, the same as the rest of the world, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the change in new cars is coming, how far it will trickle down will be interesting, I'm excited for the future.

68BUS, cbus and David H like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Mike at CBB VW has done these before........
    Biggest letdown is the cost,quality and (lack of) longevity of the batteries........
    Once that gets sorted, it's a no-brainer I reckon.
    Just need a dak dak dak dak tune on the radio ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H and Voltwagen like this.
  3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Chase the dream.

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I'm a bit reserved about idea of electric cars. Some of it is to do with how technology is still working on a few things within an electric car. As Australia is vast country with large distances,the distance in which you can travel on a single charge and the length of time it then takes to charge with what type of charging stations and how much our life style changes with that. I do like the idea of hydrogen cars,but that,s another story.
    The weight of the battery is another and how long does these last.
    The environmental factors as mentioned in original post . The BHP add at the moment there is four times the copper used then a petrol car! Is this good or bad for environment? The battery life and replacement factor.
    I don't what to come across naive or negative about electric car as I don't fully understand everything.
    I have seen a beetle in Sydney at a VW show that had electric motor in it but never seen it again.
    I still like the idea of you planning and organising what is needed to achieve your dream or goals . Being then able to accomplishing them.
    Go for it all the best Wayne

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I would love an EV conversion.
    Torque on tap with the right setup. And no dak dak headaches from long drives.

Once the price and range get sorted i will happily go down that path.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

T 3 :p

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Seems some would miss the dak dak & some not. I'd miss the dak dak but love the power of EV:D. Go for it;).
    Cheers

8. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Dak Dak generator to recharge the battery... = hybrid! Problem solved. ;)

But seriously. When range and towing/hauling capacity reaches a point where we can tow/haul 2 tonne of gear 1500km in a day then EV will have got to an equivalent point of ICE vehicles. Although most kombi's would also fail that requirement.
    I'd have both. Have a plan in mind for electrifying my topless beetle one day.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

10. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Great idea
    There have been a few posts on going electric...use the search icon.
    The technology seems to be developing very rapidly.
    Look forward to watching your progress.
    I just had my engine rebuilt..so should be good for a few years..by then upgrading to electric should be more common place.

11. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

12. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Sorry Col.
    They were talking Kombis. So did not not think of T3's ;)

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Were T2's considered - some out there 1 minded with T1's

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

As for thoughts on the whole EV - IF you want a classic Kool VW Air Cooled then keep it that way :D:cool: KOOL.

Those with the classics or wanting one are mostly reluctant to spend $$$$ so converting to EV would be a reluctant cost a lot would NOT be prepared to fork out on :eek::p.

They're going to have to put a shit load of charging stations in - what is the cost going to be for these and cost to charge ..... enforced 30 minute stop every xxhrs :rolleyes:

16. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Just now we have an enforced stop every xxxkm/xxhrs to fill up with fuel, we also stop for food and toilet stops, both these will be able to be done at the same time as charging.

In one of the links above it says in the next few years you will be able to charge to 80% in less that 15 minutes, by that stage I expect normal cars will quite easily have a range of 800km, then an 80% charge would give you 640km, so if you took it down to 10% (80km left) before charging then, 640km minus the 80km gives you 560km real usable range. Going on an average speed of 110km/h that gives you just over 5hrs straight driving, to me that’s enough before having a break. In a Kombi it would be less, but the ride would be harder so would prob need a break earlier.

You are right, they will have to put in a lot of charging points, and they will. Just now we buy our fuel from stations, now when you go to anywhere with a car park they can sell you energy - ie shopping centres, down the beach, your place of work, now they can all sell you energy as a side business, the costs will be massively cheaper than fossil fuels. If charging at work then i'm sure there would be a way for it to come out of your pay before tax so there would be a saving there as well.

Charging at home overnight would be better though, power demand is high during the normal working hours, power stations don’t have the capacity to slow down overnight hence why the give you a cheaper rate overnight, charging vehicles will help even out the demand.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But all EV’s are Air Cooled. ;)

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Kombi trips
    Have done 2600kms with only fuel stops.
    Arrived just in time to start 8 hr shift.
    2 drivers tho.

1900km straight thru. One driver.

NOT recommended.

Think there's money to be made by shopping centres having recharge points with solar shade covers providing the power.

oldman likes this.
  19. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Decent battery systems will require water cooling.....

20. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member