1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks. I have been dropping comments that I pulled my bus off the road and a few people have said I should start a thread.
    So here goes.
    My VW history is a 68 and a 69 lowlights that I was working on. Both were bought when I was nieve and thought that rust work was something the any mug could do. Neither ended up seeing the light of day under my own steam but hopefully the will under someone elses.

So I bit the bullet (and searched for some time) and found me a splitty. I only had 20k to spend so I knew I was going to get a few issues but as luck would have it I snapped up my new bus from a DSK member down in Newcastle. When I spoke with him he said it was nice and solid and all the running gear had been replaced with late bay gear (big thing for me with kids). But the paint was pretty tatty.
    So I flew down with a bag of tools and a wad of cash. Bought it after a 45min test drive and headed back to brissy. 11hours straight with my wifes father as my co-driver saw me get home at 3am. Slept for a few hours then woke up and fitted a baby anchor and went to the 2012 Action Day with the family.

This is that morning.
    [​IMG]
    and Evie (as she was already named) became part of the family for a year.
    [​IMG]

She was a bit of an ugly duckling though. (very reliable and super fun anyway) so we decided to take her off the road for some quick TLC.
    [​IMG]

And I can tell you, stripping a split is so much easier than a bay. There is not much to them.
    [​IMG]

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

No I said above that it was going to be quick TLC. Well...... Certain events transpired that put the brakes on for a while but I am still plugging away.
    I started to strip her off hoping that she was as solid as I thought and have been pleasently surprised.

There have already been most of the usual spots cut and repaired by the previous owner (or maybe the one before them).
    [​IMG]

There were a few spots that were just filled over however. Such as the holes in the step. I deliberated over it but the step itself is actually in really good nick and the inner layers were solid. It was just the outer holes.
    So these have been fixed since the photo.
    [​IMG]

I am still trying to convince Anita that 2 tone just makes the splitty POP. She is still a solid colour fan but what she doesn't know wont hurt her if I cannot talk her round.
    [​IMG]

So I managed to get the bulk of the paint and filler off the bus on the weekend. I found some new muscles in my arms the day after that I didn't know about too.
    [​IMG]

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

All in All she is pretty straight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst there was a bit of filler used. I plan to panel beat out the few spots that I can to within the 3mm filler range and do a good job of repainting.
    It is still a very daunting task but I reckon I can manage.
    I have a hand sized floor rust repair to do in the back and the drivers step has one hole about the size of a 5cent piece. But other than that there is no other rust. Just some wonky metal from minor parking dilemmas.

At this stage the plan is to paint both inside and out. I thing I will get it blasted to save time and then find the right material list so I can get it in etch primer within a day or two and then use filler on top. My tafe course said to use filler on bare metal but I don;t like that idea if there are materials that can seal the metal first.

Then there is many more questions. - Col, I will have to shout you a few drinks at the Christmas Party so I can pick your brain:lol:

And at this stage I am seriously considering painting the entire inside and the lower half of the bus in either the Seablue #1 from the 1966 busses. or Seablue #2 from the 1966 Beetles. (The beetle color is slightly more green within blue).
    And then paint the top half of the outside in a smoky / darker grey that will suit.
    Kinda Like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

You have a good solid base to work with, i'd take panels with bog over panels with tin worm any day.

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Good progress Brad. She looks solid as a rock. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Good luck.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Well, Being Time poor AGAIN!!!
    I have finally found someone who can take the bus on for me for some body&filler work.
    So in the next month I am getting it sent down to Northern NSW for full blasting and epoxy priming.
    Then it is going to a fella by the name of Brad Condran at Southport.
    Went and met him the other day and he seems like a good bloke and he used to work at Das before changing to a street machine company.
    So hopefully it will give it a good kickstart towards getting into paint.

7. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Looking good Brad, colours look good just watch dark colours on top with the heat

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

That is as close as I can get on. Us selecta. It will be more of a smoky grey than a gun metal grey. I just have to trawl through the paint swatches some time.

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Well, Off she went.
    Yesterday I finished getting er ready for the abrasive blaster. After further consultation with Col over a milkshake I scraped out all the seam sealer that I could and any paint I could get to in every single seam / fold / join. Then I flooded (quite literally in some areas) these joins in Penatrol so that once the bus has been blasted and undercoated any bits that were missed will still be protected.

So I am getting it fully blasted. I was just going to do the outer and inner of the top but speaking with the blaster yesterday he said that the running gear was not going to be in the way to do the whole body which is good. (everything remains bar the engine and fuel tank). Apparently he uses a crane to lift one side to 45 degrees and gets what he can before switching sides. So that is a great outcome for me.
    He is then going to spray it with DuPont 840R Epoxy primer ready for the body work to start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Good to see you aren't cutting corners on this Brad. Noticed you have merc wheels, will you colour match these too? Would have been a sight seeing the old val towing evie down the highway.

Cheers, Paul

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Just before he pulled out we were passed by another person towing a yellow beetle.
    Not a bad ute he had. He has a few cars from what he was saying. Retired panel beater and restorer who went into blasting instead.

And yes - they are merc wheels. I got them off Dave (has the blue split panel on the Northside). I have since realised that Ian was running them on Angus too.
    They are my poor mans way to have Porche Gasburners....

I need to fit longer studs to them so they fit. So the plan at this stage is to refit the old wheels once running. And then carefully go for a little drive in these to make sure clearances work well before changing studs. If they drive without scrubbing then I will most likely get them blasted and powdercoated in a matching colour to the bumpers (which will probably be top colour).

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

It is kinda hard to see as it is really dusty but it got me excited anyway.
    Mostly because it is progress and partially because it if not full of holes.

Some partway shots that the blaster sent me over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one you can see window frames and bumpers. Plus a little hole that was under the rubber in the back tailgate. It looks like it has opened up to be about 40mm long. Not to bad so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I know this lot are boring photos but I am so excited. Mainly because certain areas that I was fearful about in case the metal was thin have come back good.

This is the cargo side of the B Pillar bulkhead. There was silicon messily applied to the join at the floor. I was worried the metal would be skinny but looks okay.
    [​IMG]

The old seam sealer behind the fuel tank was another worry point as the sealant was all dried up and shrunk back from each face leaving a couple of mm's for moisture to get in. Looks all good though.
    [​IMG]

And the doors and internal getting a blast.
    [​IMG]

This photo seems to through up a little hole on the bulge at the top of the door. And you can see on the bit of bulge showoing to the right there are a few dints to be looked after but pretty good so far.
    [​IMG]

Of course it does not look like he has moved onto the sills or the underside yet. Will be crossing my fingers very tight for those photos as they are obviously the big question.
    I know the drivers side sill already has a couple of little patches of holes. Hopefully they are not surrounded my thin metal too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the progress report. You must be relieved that Evie is pretty solid.

15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Brad,

That hole on the swage line should be there and it should be a threaded hole for the blsck rubber bump stop that is usually fitted there to avoid the door handle from damaging the side rear panel when opened.

Great progress.

16. Dibsy

Dibsy Member

Brad, you must be rapped, it's in great condition !
    You gonna be taking your time or is this Valla transport ?

Well done,
    Mark.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Paul - Very relieved as every hole will take time that I do not have and cannot afford to have fixed. I hope that the sills don't send me to far backwards but I am still awaiting those photos.

Scott - Of course. I am the one that took it out too. It just did not click.

And Mark, Whilst I would like to be rolling it again soon I have not got the funds to hand it over totally. So just playing it by ear as to when it will be done and how finished it will be. I think it will be a long time before it gets a new interior. Which is okay by me. At least the rust will be kept at bay for the time being after this.

18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Some more photos that make me a happy chappy.

[​IMG]

This is the step I welded through the light stuff already. Seems to have held up the top half which is good.
    [​IMG]

Cargo door sill looks tidy. The cargo doors themselves had some sort of rust busting goop inside them so the pin holes are no real surprise.
    [​IMG]

And the front nose is all good. This is how he is doing the underside. Chaining up each side and getting what can be reached. No wonder he has left it till the end.
    Cannot be a fun job blasting especially on a hot day. Glenn was saying he gets up very early each day and blasts and then has a long seista before getting back in the booth late afternoon.
    [​IMG]

19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

More photos!!!
    She is going to be getting Epoxy coated today and will be heading to her next stop by the end of the week hopefully.
    Good excuse for me to take the dog down to the beach for a good look.

Anyway - Glenn said yesterday that this is the most solid split that he has ever had pass through his door. Admittedly there has already been rust repairs done but still makes me a happy camper.

Underside.
    [​IMG]

Backside of Steps and front Nose
    [​IMG]

Engine bay. I have noticed a few points on the bus were seems have been bronze filled.
    [​IMG]

Cargo floor. There is a hole in there that is hiding that I know about.
    [​IMG]

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Rear wheel arch ( I think its the rear anyway).
    I have been missing the bump stop since I got it I think. Never bottomed out though.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the rear tyre alone it looks like a really bad day at the beach.
    I think my drums may be full of sand after this too.
    [​IMG]

Cockpit.
    [​IMG]

The cargo area.
    [​IMG]