1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Nice Brad, looks good, what size ?

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Dual 1916.

3. shaven

shaven Active Member

Brad... keep looking at this engine... bloody insane mate... looking forward to the reviews when you hit the road ;)

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Are you in Brissy these days? Come have a drive. Its bloody fun.

shaven likes this.
  5. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

wow looks Great Brad

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Okay, I am now on a real computer not the phone so can write a bit more. I had not posted the engine on my DSK thread so below is the engine review I just put up there.

Engine is in!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I took this to the local mob who service my utes and I am glad I did. Ended up spending a fortnight on the hoist. My wife would not have been happy if it was the driveway.
    So here is why.

- Throw out bearing was looking a bit old. So had to wait for one to come in.
    - Then the rear valance tinwear does not fit the Vintage Speed pipes that have the pre heater upstands for single solex carbs. Amazingly Mick Motors said they have ones without.
    Turns out they did not. They sent me J Pipes. (Two sets). So i took them back and took the exhaust to a stainless welder and have the upstands cut off and plugged.
    - Then my accelerator cable was two short by a few mm. Ordered two from Micks and said to save time can you express courier. They were shipped Wednesday morning and arrived Friday 6:30pm. Not bad for 13km. (totally not Micks fault. Fastway stuffed up the delivery).
    - Then I had to wait for the workshop to clear.
    - Then there was a small oil leak. I figured it was the doghouse cooler adapter and rang Stan. He agreed because the new ones have to be machined to fit. I pilfered the one of my old engine for now. To Stans credit he said he would pay any associated costs with the switch. So he does stand by his warrentee which is great.
    - Finally on Friday afternoon the second week she was ready.

Pauly got excited (my mech) and said he was looking forward to hearing it from the outside.
    So is gave it a little bit. Their street is not long and the old engine would have me at 60kms by the end. This one had me at 80 and I decided that 80 was enough 3/4 of the way down.

So it is bloody fun. Really good torque right through the range. I have not gotten it on the freeway yet so about 90 is my top speed. But it does not need to rev beyond 4500. Just has a heap of guts.
    And unless I am in a high gear (I have taken to sitting in 4th at 6okms) you put the foot down and it pulls.

It is not obnoxiously loud, but certainly loud enough to make people realise it is not a slow old kombi ( the large stainless exhaust helps in that realisation too).

So overall. I know I could have got more power through a Penrose motor. But for a street motor that does not have to rev very high. I am completely happy. Yep it cost a pretty penny. But you can't take it with you 8)

shaven and Squidy like this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh

shaven likes this.
  8. shaven

shaven Active Member

Happy for you mate... ill take you up on that drive when I'm up there ;)

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Should have left the exhaust off and fired it up - then you'd have heard some noise :confused: and mechanic would have been suitably impressed.

The Pobjoy 2.1 litre stroker I had in the Bay DC back in 1993/95 (even though hooked up to an insufficiently geared 1600 box) pulled like crazy so am sure you'll get more impressed the more it's driven ;)

68BUS likes this.
  10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So I have myself some work to do.
    [​IMG]

Arrived today from Happy tiger in Victoria (I ordered on Thursday - so very happy with the service).

Once this is in I will have 8kg/m2 worth of Mass loaded vinyl on the floor (2 layers of Wavebar4kg) and then this one every available vertical surface and 100% of the roof. Not much more I can do to stop noise and heat prior to door cards and headlining other than filling the whole van with exspanda foam.

Also just put another full can of penatrol through all the seems in both doors and roof plus underneath.

I should be really well behaved and download a decibel meter app and take before and afters. I will see how time permits, it would be good to know.
    But for now I am working on the basis of this youtube video for selecting the happy tiger (versus the ping jing which is not as good in aussie temperatures apparently)

shaven likes this.
  11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Getting there slowly and very thankful for the roller. $10 well spent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I drove home yesterday having done 60-80% of the roof only and notice a good difference.
    My stereo sound (speakers in rear only) sounded much better. And the bus definitely sounded dampened and more solid.

I did not end up taking a drive with the decibel meter but I did a test prior to starting in a closed garage with all the bus shut up and the engine revving at 2000rpm and came up with 70Db.
    So I can replicate this test easily to see the difference. It will be interesting to see what happens as it already feels different.

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

On a side note. Driving around with a roof made of gold I feel a bit like Kayne West or something.

melissa, jimbi and shaven like this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

lucky you went a bigger engine with all that added weight ;)

shaven and 68BUS like this.
  14. shaven

shaven Active Member

Brad... so nice... love this bus man ;)

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Another win today.
    I am totally over cheap knock off VW parts. My current issue is mirrors. I switched from Elephant Ear mirrors to round ones and the big ones vibrated on the freeway.
    Now I have broken my second round mirror. The first was a busstop one, the second a das one leaving only the just kampers one (ironically the worst quality one) left.

As other splitty owners would know there shaft of the mirrors is tiny, and from prolonged adjustment they break leaving the ball in the clamps and mirror in my hand.

I really wanted a pair of JOGR ones that have a slight convex to the face for additional viewing, But to import them and pay conversion rate was not worth while.
    So it fell upon Australian stock again.

but instead I decided to try to find a universal one. After a lot of searching I found a suitable Convex 5inch stainless one on Amazon. Two mirrors delivered within a week for the price of one VW one.
    And they look a whole lot stronger, and actually look really nice on the bus. Happy days.

This is how they come versus the 6month old just kampers one (which had a wobbly connection from day one).
    [​IMG]

This is the box if anyone is interested in brand.
    [​IMG]

Drilled out the screw hole on the clamp and put the new mirror bolt through it. Nice strong bolt too onto a good quality arm. Whole unit feels really strong.
    [​IMG]

And they are a little bigger with convex glass to see more and they actually look the part (In my opinion anyway).
    [​IMG]

polland and Grantus like this.
  16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, there is also a rubber edge to the glass side. So when the door opens too far it touches rubber not metal. happy days.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So the results are in. All my hard work has shaved an incredible 1 Decibel off the initial reading in the cab of the bus whilst idling at 2000rpm. :eek::(

In reality though, I think my lazy way of testing was not a suitable reflection.
    Not sure how to better test, perhaps at driving speed but I am not sure that would help due to engine noise.

The question is - Was it a waste of Money?
    No - I don't think so. Despite the pathetic reduction in Db, the drive of the bus is noticeably different.

It feels a lot more cocooned from the outside world, the stereo quality difference is very noticeable and the engine drone is lower pitch now and a lot less severe to the base of the skull (where my headache starts after long drives full of noise. Overall the bus feels like it has improved and all panels feel more solid.

Would I do it again knowing what I do know - Yes, but I might not expect as much gains perhaps. :rolleyes:

shaven likes this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Think your testing methodology is flawed and you ears are telling you more than you realise ;):D

shaven likes this.
  19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

If school and uni result were anything to go by my testing methods were often flawed but I figured I knew it all anyway...

shaven likes this.
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

But we DID :D