1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Brad, I measured 95db at 90kph on a free ipad app. If you are now getting less that at 90kph then good chance it was worthwhile. I still haven't taken the after measurement yet as I have either been glacially slow or otherwise distracted in getting second door and roof done.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Paul, I could not test this. The only time I get to drive at 90km/hr is in 70 zones..... ;)

Seriously though. Next time I am on the freeway I will slow down and check it. :D
    My windscreens and the vent above I am sure attract additional wind noise however. So maybe holding the phone in the middle seat would be a good test?

Just as a side note too - you are officially operating dangerous equipment.
    Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB

We should all be wearing ear protection.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Eh. ? What ? Speak up

shaven likes this.
  4. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I measured 95 db with all windows closed and ipod perched on the ashtray. It was all wind noise I believe, really don't hear the engine much at highway speed. I am not sure if that 95db was accurate given the equipment/app I was using. Just recorded it mainly for before/after comparison. Would have been a sound experiment if we didn't lose the ipod since the first reading:(

Grantus likes this.
  5. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Brad, well done mate! You've put so much quality time and work into this bus. It's a beauty and I'm sure you have a bigger real world reduction in Db than your test indicated - on top of that you're a Happy Tiger..... :rolleyes:

shaven and 68BUS like this.
  6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hey Col Just for the record, coming home from Forbes also had severe wind noise and was unable to locate the source until I got home, tried every thing I could think of, pack rack , tent pole bag on pk/rk, checked underneath ,front door rubbers as well but to no avail, only thing left was the Radio aerial on the front, {not the CB ] ,it is attached to the body in two places so jammed a piece of sponge in between the two points and all noise is gone , took out the sponge noise returned put sponge back no noise. Have made a cover to in between the two points and noise is now history .

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I had similar on a roof rack that i used to have. Was the tradition style with the round bars. It would hummm on the freeway. So I wrapped a rope around the front two cross bars and the noise was gone.
    It was like a tuning fork.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thin tube and air accelerating over the windscreen edge
    Some would have called it the roof racks mantra.
    Ohmmmm

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

SOOOOOO, How long does it take to restore a bus you ask????
    4 years to the day!

On the 8th of September 2012 I flew down to Newcastle with my father in law, a wad of cash, some basic tools, a credit card for if it went pear shaped and an agreement struck over 3 phone calls with a fella who I had never met.
    Standing in the hot, windy, desolate pick up bays of the Newcastle airport we were greeted to a charming but scruffy, dak daking splitty who piloted by Juri pulled up to greet us.

After some small talk and a walk around he threw me the keys (thats right keys! the last bus I had driven they gave me a screw driver to start it) and off we went. As I got in I hit both my head and me knee simultaneously.
    The drive to follow was a few crunched gears and the quick realisation that split screens were designed for vertically challenged contortionists to drive. And I started to doubt how wise the cost of the flights had been. Fortunately that took me to 20minutes into a 40 minute drive. By minute 30 I was at one with the vehicle and all its quirks. By minute 40 I was totally hooked.
    So the deal was done, paper work signed and my wallet was left with a gaping hole that I never figured how to close up again.
    After a quick trip to Supercheap Auto to buy a jerry can and some basic tools off we went. Driving through the night (about 1am outside of Byron Bay with all the servo's closed that jerry can became my best friend), we made it home as the clock rolled on 3am. A couple hours of sleep and up to show the family and fit a baby anchor point before going to the 26th Annual Action Day meet. That was the 9th of September 2012.

The last 4 years have seen a lot of driving, blasting, welding, painting, wiring, rewiring, mechanical and now finally upholstery. And today, the 9th September 2016, Evie - the beloved 6th Member of our family (after the dog - no surprise news here) now sits in the garage finally complete having just have the interior finished.
    So now the questions that every car restorer is still trying to figure out, is that hole in my wallet finally patched?

And this is what the last 4 years have looked like.

That fateful morning.
    [​IMG]

The first Driving Phase (And still my favorite photo).
    [​IMG]

The Second Driving Phase.
    [​IMG]

And the final Chapter.
    [​IMG]

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Not bad considering that the arguement for selling the previous split to buy evie was that it was less work / cheaper option and you could drive this pretty much as is :rolleyes::p

Can I interest you in a good T3 and comfort ??

shaven likes this.
  11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Nah mate. The previous bus was a bay. I didn't feel right with all that leg room and lack of wind noise.
    And if the T3 is a sycro camper that will fit 4, then maybe.....

12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

You must be happy with that! Very tastefully done, looks fantastic.

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Brad ;) ...... you got the strap retainers for those doors :rolleyes:

14. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Looks awesome Brad
    Can't wait to see her in the flesh !! Are you going to action day ???

15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looks lovely Brad - who did the interior panels? Are they TMI?

16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Stu. Yes i am going to action day.
    Melissa the interior was done by mike at performance upholstery.
    The grey is off the shelf in oz.
    The pattern is the tmi time period correct series.
    Stainless trim came from busnbug i think.

melissa likes this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Brad - he did an outstanding job :)

18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yeah he did. Quality of the work is great.
    I have actually been really lucky with all the places that had a hand in this bus.
    I guess that is from being around the scene for a while, willingness to focus on value not just price and also being burnt by others in the past.
    Thats why I tout the lot of them for business. To much money and heartache when you get it wrong.

melissa likes this.
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just beautiful Brad!
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Bugger, another one of those fantastic Kombis that makes me look at mine and think that I should do something with it to improve the looks.
    The interior of this looks great, the outside looks OK too. The smile says it all.
    Well done.

Steve