1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

U Beaut tool set not sure what a Buet tool set is :p
    So I take it that it was a MFTK :eek: screwdriver with a hex socket head you put flat or philips or hex or torx bits into o_O

2. KahunaKombi

And if confused use both hands to " go in ya 8astard " :confused:

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Only after starting the screw with a hammer ;)

4. shaven

shaven Active Member

Hey Brad,
    Mate hope all is well. Must get my arse up there for a cruz & beers.
    Saw the engine review you did back in 15/early 16 I think. Is there any updates over the last 2 years running the Pobjoy 1916cc? Whats the cruzin highway/freeway top speed like @ what rpm.
    Appreciate any other info of do's/dont's etc or anything you would change?

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Overall it is a good street engine Matty.
    0-80km/hr it is brilliant. Which is the majority of my driving. Hill starts and take off it have plenty enough power.
    Second gear it where it really shines.
    Mine is cammed to produce power from 1500rpm through to 4500rpm.
    But in second at 4500-5000rpm I am getting close to 80km/hr with a nice solid power curve. Taking off at the lights by the time I get to 60km/hr I am about 10 car lengths ahead of people that take in in a normal fashion but in modern cars.
    If someone in a normal mordern car put their foot down they would probably be faster, but not that much. (Obviously high powered cars would beat it).

On the freeway it does 110km/hr, but it is starting to lack the power under foot. Once again it is probably because it is cammed for lower street - you could easily get a different cam profile but my brief was for city driving. Still has power under foot at 90km but I would appreciate more.

I am still having over heating issues, as is Niko on DSK. I have not heard of many others that are though, not sure if it is a high cooling vent issue or something else, I have trouble faulted everything I can think of and my next step is an external oil that I will fit when I can find where I put it after moving house twice.

Overall - For my driving I like the motor. It does lack a bit on the freeway but that only makes a smaller percentage of my driving.
    I know 80km/hr in 4th is 2400rpm (Because my GPS speedo drops out in the tunnels)
    At 100-110 I am not certain but I would assume about 3500rpm +/-

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

IMG_12082019_170633_(1000_x_486_pixel).jpg

Some goodies to keep me busy for a while.

7. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

What are you up to now mate:)

8. KahunaKombi

Joe Blow Ignition Kit :rolleyes: ..... trying to solve the dilemma of the twin spark o_O

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Took her out for a blast yesterday. The raising of the beam held which was good. And my neighbor followed me home and jokingly said I am a hoon and it sounds like I have no exhaust. (She knows the way to my heart :))

Good to be driving again, I have not driven her since we got back from Busstop.
    But this weekend will see me starting the change over of the Dizzy system. I am very interested to see if I notice a difference being back on twin spark, and having the vac advance on the dizzy too on the low revs.

polland, Wayne murray, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Finished work a bit early today. So I read the instructions over again. Clarified a few points I did not understand whilst sitting behind the engine.
    Then layed out the system. The photo below is now my complete ignition system.
    Going to run the two coils on either side of the engine, they are set up so that one coil can either run the top set of spark plugs, or the top and bottom on one side.
    So splitting them up should clean up the engine bay quite a lot.
    At this stage I am thinking about running the ECU under the rear seat, but have to see how big a hole I would need to get the thinnest end of the loom through. Otherwise I might attach it to the vertical steel to the right of the engine that goes up to hold the fuel filler point.
    Vac sensor in the top of the air filter on the right hand carb.
    And the cylinder head temp goes on the Cylinder 3 tinware stud. So hopefully can zip tie the wiring up nice and neat in one spot.

IMG_16082019_161008_(1000_x_486_pixel).jpg

And the next photo is quite funny. I will be going from this double normal size dizzy, to this little plug in here. The engine will look so bare without it.

IMG_16082019_161024_(1000_x_486_pixel).jpg

Syncro27, TeeBee, David H and 3 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the results

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So managed to get some time up in the shed today (Whilst also moving the kids bedrooms around).
    Took lots of photos, and catalogued the wiring of existing coils / dizzy / plugs.
    Marked the dizzy in line and dremelled a grove into each component.
    Then bagged them up with full details on the bags.
    Hopefully if it goes pear shaped on the road I can reinstall what I had.

Now I have started to lay things out. To keep access to everything and due to the size of the coils which are almost as wide as my old dual coils each. I am thinking of mounting them to the body of the bus in the locations of the photos. And mounting the ECU on what I think is the old oil bath mounting plate. Next to the air filter of the right carb. I figure these locations would all work.
    Can anyone see a reason why not?

IMG_18082019_061932_(2200_x_1069_pixel).jpg IMG_18082019_062053_(1458_x_3000_pixel).jpg IMG_18082019_062115_(1458_x_3000_pixel).jpg

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

How tight is the ECU unit to the right hand air filter? As if the engine moves on it's rocky motion left to right will it hit the ECU unit.As motion of the crank turning is to the right. Just a thought 68BUS other then that it should work.

14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne. Good point. I will check the clearance. I can move it up and down a fair way too. But its current location worked for the clamp.
    But I figured the higher it is the cooler it will be too.

15. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Cant fit on the other side of the plate Brad?

68BUS likes this.
  16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I will check. No time since the initial layout. Hopefully a bit of time this weekend.

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

On the wheel arch?

18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Changed my mind. I Took the plug heads off what I could in the loom and have fed them through from under the rear seat. Which means my CPU will be in the cab which will protect it and help with the bluetooth signals.

6mm rivnuts installed holding both coils down.
    Installed cylinder head temp sensor.
    Cannot install the vac advance yet. For the life of me I cannot find a nut for it. 3/8 NPTI (18tpi).
    Bizzare size.

Tried to fit the new crank pulley and trigger sensor. The sensor does not line up with the template provided. So have asked for clarification. Will proceed more next weekend.

Looks pretty messy at the moment but hope I can tuck everything away nicely.

IMG_01092019_203727_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg
    IMG_01092019_203833_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg
    Lots of labels!

IMG_01092019_203749_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg
    Fortunately one of my pullers worked. Did not take a lot of force.

IMG_01092019_203858_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg
    This was a handy little discovery. Used the finger of a dish washing glove to bundle the small collection of wires. Sprayed them with rubber magic and it was the easiest loom install so far.

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

One interesting discovery. One of the coil leads came from the builder with a sheath over it. Sheath was still in perfect nick. But the damage to the lead was fresh looking.
    I assume that it must have been installed like thst from new.
    Disappointing.
    IMG_01092019_203942_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg IMG_01092019_203920_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg

20. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That looks like it has been chewed by a rodent.

David H likes this.