1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Kombi!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scott&Will, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Scott&Will

Scott&Will New Member

Hi all!

Our 12 month (ish) search finally came to an end at Easter time, and we have bought our first kombi as father-son owners! We are from Brisbane and visited the Kombi group at the Gold Coast Caravan Park over the Easter weekend and could no longer resist the urge to have our own. We are now proud owners of 'Klaus' a 1971 Bay (with a few differences!). Klaus has the rear end of a '71 but the front end of a '72. A few people have indicated this could be a post-factory alteration that has been made due to a rusty front-end, however we spoke to the bloke who did the body work to restore it and he has assured us that he found no indication of cutting and welding to replace the front end. The conclusion is that when one model ended and the next began, there would be a few combinations of old and new parts so as not to waste any materials (apparently this is not that uncommon).. and so Klaus was born!

The one issue we have is that the high beam switch (currently on the floor) is jammed and so stuck on high beam.. meaning we can't drive at night. Any ideas where we could pick up a new switch? Or any alternatives that people have done with their own high beam switch? I will "try" post a few photos...

Thanks everyone, happy to be here and can't wait to get cruising, hoping to attend the event near Caboolture next month!

Scott & Will
    IMG_2799.jpg IMG_2754.jpg

2. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

This is the second bus I've seen of around the same vintage (low-light) with the later model front panel. One of our club members from Geelong has the same set-up and by all accounts, it appears to be a factory item.

Very interesting :)

3. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Its the third that I know of now....as theres another one on qld

4. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Forgot to say.........welcome to the club and with ur lights they not very bright even on main beam......u could leave them on main beam and nobody would notice...as ive found out :lol:

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

6. carazeee

carazeee Member

Yeah I drove home the other night with mine on high beam the whole way.... no one seemed to complain! BTW Welcome and enjoy the fun times ahead! :)

7. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

You didn't take too long to find your kombi once motivated by the Bus Stop visit! Congratulations and welcome, it is a fun ride:)

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Excellent purchase.

However, as far as I am aware - bays never came from any factory with high-light front indicators and low-light bumpers.

Must have been done by someone good at their work with excellent welding skills.

You have a HI-LOW!

Cheers,

9. Justin_101

Justin_101 Member

Welcome to the KC.

I also drive my bus around at night with just the high beam on. i got the eye lashes on mine. i have never had anyone flash me the lights aren't that bright anyway :p

10. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! :)

The pic suggests a 73 front clip (just to add to the confusion) so I look forward to more pics. :)

11. Scott&Will

Scott&Will New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments, very interesting to hear more people's opinion of Klaus.
    Also thanks for the link to the dipper switch Alpal, have just ordered one! Will investigate the brightness a bit further though, maybe test it by driving down the road opposite dad and see if he is blinded or not!

Cheers, Will

12. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

There's been much discussion about this with one of our South East Vic members who owns one of these buses. It may just be that someone did a great welding job on one bus, but two?? And now there appears to be at least three of these "transition" buses in existence. I really can't believe that anyone would go to so much bother, but then again I'd believe anything humans do these days :umm:

13. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Add another one to the list , there is one down the road from me that is being painted ATM transition from yellow to what looks like purple . Have driven past numerous times and not had a close look but it definitely has lowlight front and tall rear light cluster.
    Cheers Mark

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Aparently, there was a period where low-lights were considered inferior and the high indicators safer and hence people swaped them over using an original late bay front clip - before they were made in abundance and sold fairly cheaply all the way from Brazil.

South Africa had their bastardised version of a bay with alate bay front clip and cab doors on to a splitty body. Many of these were used as donors for 15 window splitty conversions as they include the rear corner windows.

Other than that there was no factory HI/LOW.

15. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Kombi Club, you just beat my friends and new KC members 'Billy Boy' to the purchase of Klaus. Luckily they found another good one a couple of weeks later.:)

16. Joy Kombi Wolfsburg

Joy Kombi Wolfsburg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. Too much discussion on his parentage. All you need to know is Klaus is cute!

17. Scott&Will

Scott&Will New Member

Wow, thanks everyone for your input.. lots of interesting points and opinions!

Sorry to your friends Loraine! Hope their bus is going well though! Klaus is going strong :)

Thanks again everyone,

Will

18. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

Nice looking bus mate! Welcome to the club!!!

19. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

Welcome champ!!
    I drive with high beam on all the time other wise it's like having no lights
    On at all lol

Enjoy the ride

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Hi Scott and will,

Well done picking up a nice tidy kombi there is (or at least one like that in Canberra, now I think about it I seem to recall some one in Qld buying it. The bumper mount was cut off to fit the low light bumper)

As for your switch issue an auto electrician should be able to sell you a new one. it should just be a momentary push button. Push the button once to go from low to high push again to go from high to low.
    The latching between high and low is done by a mechanically latching relay.

There is a chance the relay has failed and the floor switch actually does the latching, push on push off.
    Been on the floor I reckon there would be a high chance that a small stone has got stuck in the switch.