1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first trip spares

Discussion in 'SA' started by Gerry the jock, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Gerry the jock

Gerry the jock New Member

Hi all im getting prepared for doing a few trips this summer and looking for some advice on carrying spares etc. im taking my 1977 t2 Is there any particular spares that would be advisable to take along .

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

What engine are you running…?
    FI or carbs…?
    Points or EI module ?
    Spares will be dependant on your drive train, otherwise you may be carrying stuff you'll never need/use……
    Basics should include: fan-belt, engine oil, a selection of fuses, fuel filter, fuel line, hose clamps….

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also spannners, allen keys sockets pliers screwdrivers and wire, both electrical and fencing or baling type, tape is also good. Remember also, you may not be able to fix the problem but someone else might be able to if you have the spares. On big trips I carry a lot more, but limit it by how important I think it is. I don't carry a spare starter motor as you can push start, but I carry an alternator as once the battery is flat you are screwed (I can change one on the side of the road if need be but others might consider this a bit hard or excessive). Most people could get by with out the alternator as long as the battery is goo and you can charge it from time to time to get you home.

Adrian

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Top level Roadside Assist, and a current Visa or Mastercard.........:rolleyes:

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

And full comprehensive insurance....

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Full roadside assist is a good start. Points, plugs, condenser, dizzy cap. Sometimes hard to get in remote places.

7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

After thought I have come up with some other good ones. An accelerator cable and a clutch cable if you have a manual to suit your model . The kit from JK for the clutch cable is much better value and you get all of the clips and nuts and bowden tube etc as well for less than buying them separately. Break either one of these you are looking at a ride home, and they are 20min to half hour to replace on the side of the road with the minimum of tools.
    Add to this a service manual. The small manual available from JK is a good start. Glovebox sized and has most of the same info as the full sized ones.

Adrian

8. Gerry the jock

Gerry the jock New Member

thanks all:) roadside RAA was my first thought so thats done.basics will be the next. Fan belt ,fuses etc got plenty of tools.( oil and filters these are the type of things id forgot) thanks again:rolleyes: