1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting a tow bar IS THIS SAFE

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by bazzamagoo, Aug 10, 2020.

1. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Hi all, i had to remove our old tow bar during out resto as the previous owner had welded it to the rails along with the bumper bar securing brackets. Wasn't a fun job as it had to be oxy'ed off. Re-fitting a similar second hand bumper without welding this time if possible. Will three bolts bolted from underneath really be enough to do the job? I know they have been like this for 40 odd years so I might just be after reassurance, has anybody had any troubles with theirs? FYI I will predominantly be towing a teardrop camper with a max weight of less then 500kg

upload_2020-8-10_16-25-34.png
    upload_2020-8-10_16-26-17.png

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That’s just how mine (in both my Kombis) was attached with no issue in 20 years. Since pulling it off though I had that rust had started to take hold around the bolt holes inside the rails. In my case I would not rely on just those boots to hold it. - I would recommend carrying out an internal investigation- a bore scope/flexible camera etc to look inside and see weather it is good and not just a pretty paint job on the outside.

bazzamagoo likes this.
  3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Perfectly fine as long as you dont want to tow anything.

grumble and Syncro27 like this.
  4. saabman

So what is the correct way?

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Install the 2nd chassis bolt

bazzamagoo likes this.
  6. saabman

doh - I was reading the description and looking at the photos .... i see what you mean

bazzamagoo likes this.
  7. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Trying the two front holes to see if they line up. The rear hole is used as one of the mounts to for the bumper. Also ensure that you use 8.8 grade bolts.

bazzamagoo likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The rear hole is also supported by pretty thin metal compared to the " chassis".
    I agree re close inspection as many have been butchered over the years.

bazzamagoo likes this.
  9. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

thanks all, I took this pic whilst it was being trial fitted so all bolts are going to be fitted (and now are). The rail is in good condition and we have towed the camper for a for 500km with no issues but still considering fabricating an L bracket to also go through the rail horizontally as extra peace of mind. Here is Mintee and Montee, they'll both be getting plenty of workouts with an Oz trip planned for next year (if the borders are open).

IMG_4802.JPG

Rosscoe, Miss Rosie, TeeBee and 7 others like this.