1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Non standard wheels- Photos/other info

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by felixqld66, Jan 19, 2008.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's rubbish.

You need the correct size, performance rating and load index.

2. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I may be able to acquire some 15X7 wheels. Have doctored up a photo of what they would look like on Heidi. Am interested in thoughts/opinions on these. I quite like the look of them but have yet to trial fit for offset etc.
    heidipluswheels.jpg

3. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Hey Paul , very muscular for a German fraulein...but they look good. Low proflile tyres can add to a steroidy effect. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

4. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

Hi guys. Just a quick question . I have 14s on my 74 Bay. What size rims would I have to get to give my Kombi the effect of a 5th gear on the highway? I'm thinking 16 or 17 ... Does it really make a difference ? Cheers ...John.

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

John wheel size alone is irrelevant. You need to take wheel and tyre size into account. Stock bay tyres are 185 R14 which give you a rolling circumference of close to 2050mm. Increase your rolling circumference and you will decrease engine revs. Hers a tyre calculator which will assist. http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

I'm running 17's with 50 series tyres and that equates to nearly the same rolling diameter as standard so I can't see you getting a 5th gear out of just changing the wheels.

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

No I agree 5th gear will be a stretch but decreasing revs is very possible. Even by keeping standard 14" wheels and using a 205 80 R15 will decrease revs by approx 5% or around 200RPM at 100kph.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's a novel idea, putting 15" tyres on 14" wheels!:lol:

(Sorry I just couldn't help myself)

9. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

You know what I meant. :lol:

10. Justin_101

Justin_101 Member

here are my wheels, 18'' x 8.5 AMG mag
    tyres 235/40/18

[​IMG]

11. Nigel

Nigel Member

Encountering pot holes, bumps or "speed humps" could be rather uncomfortable and damaging, with that wheel & tyre combination!

12. Justin_101

Justin_101 Member

yeah, its not the comfiest ride, especially when i lower it ;)
    but its not that bad that i cant stand it or anything :)

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wheels look like 15x7 Performance Titan rims like I've got on my T3 Ute [​IMG]

14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Think I may have been parked next to you at the Bus Stop photo shoot in Nerang? These wheels looked good on your ute, I wish I had taken better notice. Did you need to get the centres machined and longer studs/different wheelnuts to fit these? Thanks, Paul

15. KahunaKombi

Can't answer your question Paul as they were on the ute when I bought it - as far as I know or was led to believe, these Performance Titan rims were specifically designed with correct load rating for T3, I know the centre bore is not right as the centre caps on the front do not have the retaining lugs and thus have to be siliconed on OR it could more be a case that the offset is wrong as the current tyres (front ones) may be just inside the guards. Rear has no problems. Do not know offset and was going to check next time a wheel has to come off as nothing noted on the rim itself.

As for studs on the rear think they are standard, nuts may be deeper and bolts on front are deeper/longer, front can be annoying lining up holes to put wheel on if you take them off and have thought about getting the Empi set studs to make it easier.

Cheers,
    Bert

16. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response Bert, these wheels aren't too far from me so might as well check them out. Offset may be the clincher on my Bay, the I think these are offset about 25. Cheers, Paul

17. KahunaKombi

no worries Paul, only way to really know is to do a trial fit if at all possible.

18. kombivan

kombivan New Member

well guys you can only go up two inches in rim diameter and circumerfrence can be no more than 13mm larger than standard origional tyre. so if your looking merc and you have 14" wheels you probably want 16" x 7" x 37mm offset and 5 x 112 stud pattern with a 14mm bolt hole. You will be best off with extended studs on the rear axle and standard merc bolts will fit the front. 14mm.

19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

well guys you can only go up two inches in rim diameter and circumference can be no more than 13mm larger than standard origional tyre.

From where....? Legalities ? Just wondering, that's all....
    Cheers, Mark

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Here we go again, the wheel/tyre urban myths are coming out of the woodwork!:mad:

From "Vehicle Standards Information No. 9" (RTA NSW)

"Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer can be fitted."

"The outside diameter of the wheel tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest wheel tyre combination specified for the vehicle."

(Now somebody tell me that you must have light truck tyres on a Kombi or it will cause global warming or whatever!)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013