1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula One

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just 12 hours to go before the season kicks off in Melbourne....... been a LOOONG offf season, and I've ruled out the next 3 days, (apart from continuing the SC rebuild during the inane commentary during the off track bits)....:)

Anyone else seriously into F1, or am I the only "F1 addict" here? :rolleyes:

I can take or leave most motorsport , and not a "rev head" as such........but still HAVE to watch every bit of the pinnacle, (or what used to be before they started messing with the rules each year), of motorsport.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

Sorry Grant I'm lost on the F1.o_O On the bright side though, Major League Baseball pre-season starts on ESPN today. I'm happy now:D

3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

My daughter is a bit like you Grantus, not a rev head but an F1 fanatic. She's 20 something and knows everyone in every team and every other thing F1. She has not missed a race or season since …...

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'm not a F1 tragic anymore like I was last century, but I at least watch Melbourne and Monaco.

I just wish that the Europeans didn't have their races at 3am!

5. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

For me open wheel racing stopped with the ending of formula 5000 :eek: give me the sound of a real engine rather than the squeal of a clockwork mouse. :(

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I love Formula 1. Someone needs to shut Hamilton up this year.

Will be cheering the RBR and Dan Ricciardo!

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Back in the iron ages!:eek:

8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes but just think of the advances in technology that let these motors spin up to somewhere near 20,000rpm. Them's near gas turbine speeds from a reciprocating engine.

syncro likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not an F1 tragic but do enjoy watching but became a bit boring last year ...... think they need to get back to driver skills and not technology ..... don't get up especially for it

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

For me its the 500cc bikes :)

11. autron

autron Member

albert park 1465346_10205987012370121_5595019177374801253_n.jpg

12. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

No sorry not me either, would rather Bathrst any day. However our 'other' vanning family is there with a display on if anyone is on site. Tell them Hayley and Dno sent you. 'Majestic Vanners'

[​IMG]

13. Grantus

Been a while since you watched the bikes Phil? :rolleyes:

Moto GP have 1000cc engines, Moto2 run 600cc engines, and the Moto3's still run the 250cc engines.....;)

14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Really on Fox it just shows MotoGP and I watch, didnt know the Doctors bum was on top of 1000cc now but he who cares those guys are crazy. Hey and I watched nearly all the races last year :)

15. Grantus

Just finished watching a "Claytons" F1 qualifying, (those of you old enough, will know what Claytons was).

Don't try and catch those last 5 mins of qually, to watch the times fall, and the positions swap, coz now ALL the drivers are in the pits with 4 mins left, coz those powers that be, just 3 weeks ago, managed to find a format that simply doesn't work.......:confused:

Chequered flag at the end of Q1, Q2 AND Q3, now get's waved at an empty track....o_O

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Grant, stood hear watching it doing the ironing (yes you read correctly s the wife spinal condition doesn't really allow her to do it - happy to do it).

Disappointing the drivers can just pull out when they want not to mention the time limit ..... Think the F1 need to revisit it :(

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Can you explain how it works?

I have no idea what's going on.:confused:

18. Grantus

I'll try.

Last year:

Q1. all cars on track for 20 minutes, slowest 6 don't make Q2

Q2 remaining 16 cars on track, and again the slowest 6 of those don't make Q3

Q3, top ten shootout for all 15 mins to sort the top 10 grid position, (many pulled out a quick lap in the final seconds)

This year, (but maybe a 1 off for the first race in Melbourne only, if they have any sense...;))

Q1 all cars on track for 20 minutes, but 7 mins in they eliminate the slowest driver, followed by the next slowest 90 secs later, followed by the next one till the end of the session.....

Q2 remaining cars on track, then start eliminating the slowest again halfway through the session, then the next etc.

Q3 the 8 fastest cars start the session, and by the final 5 minutes just two cars are still in for a fight for pole.....

Most drivers coming in for a tyre change were either already eliminated coz their clock was ticking, with not enough time for an out lap & a timed lap, or they were already aware, and just went to the paddock - even the Ferrari drivers in P3 & P4. o_O

So the end of each session had empty track chequered flags.......

So glad I didn't pay to be trackside this year! :mad:

19. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yeh I've watched F1 since about 1980 and used to go to Melbourne every year. Haven't watched a lot of it though for the last few years because my job takes me a lot of places where there's no coverage. I didn't mind Q1 and Q2 but Q3 needs work. Looks like Hamilton is going to continue dominating this year too.

20. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Oh, and I used to go to Bathurst every year too. And raced karts for several years in the 80's. It runs in my family a bit. I've got a brother, uncles and cousins who have raced karts, formula ford, HQ's, production cars, appendix J, sprint cars, etc.