1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frances Folk Gathering (SA and Vic)

Discussion in 'SA' started by GoblinSA, Jan 9, 2008.

1. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Just wanted to plug this fantastic festival we go to every year.

Its about 4hrs drive from Adelaide - just a few km from the Vic border and draws a crowd from both states.

Frances is a small town with a pub, a store a few houses, grain silo's and not much more but for one weekend every year, it really turns it on! There's music galore and this year there will be a nice bluegrass focus. There are more jam sessions than you can poke a stick at and blackboard acts and competitions on the various stages. There's also $ competitions for various catagories, including kids. Camping is on a comfy oval that has showers and toilets. VERY kid friendly, very friendly environment. While not the biggest or flashest by any means, this is my favourite festival of the lot!

So if you are free the weekend of the 22nd - 24th of Feb, git yerself down there! More info available http://www.francesfolkgathering.com.au/

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey gob, have checked the web page but it dont give much away. What sort of fees are required etc?

Frances aint far from here.

brian

3. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Its freeeeeeeeeee... think there's a small cost for camping though, but its nothing excessive. Any other q's I can help with?

4. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Sounds good gob, price does not worry me but just like to know. That works out good actually as the portland show is the weekend before. I could prolly manage both and get some ks on bessie as only done about 200 ks in last 3 months.

brian

5. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

If you like folky music, you'll be in your element. They have food stalls, grog, gumboot throwing competition, bush dance, kids entertainment, art exhibition and a couple of market type stalls.

Usually they have one band with a reasonable name, this year its a bluegrass band, last year it was irish band, Trouble in the Kitchen. And the rest of the program is made up of whoever wants to get up and play - we usually spend our time in jam sessions but get up on stage for a few things.

They do this brilliant competition, the Mixed Grill. All the muso's put their names in a hat and get randomly pulled out and put into a band. You have to write a song with your new band, kidnap a child under the age of 16 to join your band, and perform your song the next day on stage. Its hillarious and the band combinations being random can be amusing too. I can't gush about this one enough, we have been looking forward to it ever since arriving home from last years!

6. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

That Mixed Grill competition sounds like a real hoot. What if you end up with a band made up entirely of base guitarists or symbol players? Could be interesting!

Do you think you will have your motor fixed by then, Goblin?

7. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

I've seen bands end up with mostly singers, and you get some interesting combinations like bagpipe, trombone, maracas and penny whistle!

Last year our song was Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison with the words changed.

"When I was a young boy, my daddy told me son, don't hang around with folkies coz they will try to make you one..." etc.

And motor.. hope so! Last time I rang the drive shaft was being replaced - gotta get on the dog and bone and find out where Luigi is at.

8. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Surely a bagpipe would drown out a penny whistle. Most odd. I think I've heard that Johnny Cash song but perhaps you could play us your rendition when you get to come on a cruise.

9. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Oh man, those are the only words I remember!

10. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

***bump*** its on this weekend if anyone is bored!

Luigi will not be making the drive unfortunately, but its still gonna be a blast!!!

11. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun.Have raised it with the Fuehrer....surprise...surprise..she is interested. Her usual idea of "roughing it" is staying in a 4-star establishment. Will let you know as we get closer.....the faces in last years Gallery are indicative of some very interesting personalities. Do we have to book? or is it a case of just turning up? J.D.:cool:

12. kmac

kmac New Member

Noticed this is an old post, but so glad it came up again. Well done JD, and Diana! Have subscribed to their mailing list, sounds like an excellent road trip weekend away.

13. Bulli

Bulli New Member

tell me ... ive never been ... is the music amplified or does one need a big voice? ... is it folk music only or is blues accptable? over the years ive noticed that some get togethers insist on "acoustic and folk music only"

14. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member