1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front seats, whats missing?

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, Jun 15, 2019 at 5:19 AM.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Peeps,
    Managed to snag a pair of front seats for $250, not terribly pretty but a start. I'm not 100% sure what hardware they should have on the in terms of rails etc so thought i'd ask the pro's (thats you fine people ).
    One looks pretty much complete, the other seems to be short of something. Anyone advise what’s missing and was my purchase price fair? See photos

Mr h

C7EF6862-CF95-439D-94F5-DCE083E16AE8.jpeg 1D148148-7BF1-4E07-A880-02D6C8F5767A.jpeg A764D519-0CA3-4080-BA17-72D0124AD585.jpeg 28D5A9A4-9E67-4A46-BE4B-5A3D02E480BD.jpeg 318E6692-C729-40DC-B500-F18B22462A71.jpeg D71EEDFE-A075-48D4-9D3F-AA44DE274624.jpeg

2. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Hard to tell off the pics but all looks good to me. Obviously the seat with the full backing and slide handle is drivers side. Other seat is fixed. No idea about the price sorry but prob looking at a few hundred to bring each one up to scratch

mr happy likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hard to say - what year are they out of ? what year is yours ? What are your passenger mounting points & do these seats look as if they will fit ?
    The passenger one pictured looks as though mounting points on the back of the seat (2 knobs) may be for a T3 not a T2 :rolleyes:

mr happy likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The runners are missing from one .likely pinch d to convert a non original seat to fit a T3 or late bay
    Your runners and catches are different in your Kombi ( pre 77?)

Basically a wasted purchase.
    Find some seats that fit your year.

On these
    Besides the $ 1k or so to refurbish you will need to find another to supply missing base plate.

Then purchase runners to weld into your Kombi @ $ 60x 4 plus welding.

mr happy likes this.
  5. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

All good col, i have only negotiated a price, was gonna pick up this morning but will let seller know i have since learned they are not suitable. They were advertised as 1976 which is the same as Alfie hence why i thought they would fit. Put the post on to get final tick off that they were ok, yet again KC comes up with the goods.
    I've done a heap of googling and can't seem to find any images of what “should” be there plus I'm green hence my ignorance.
    Wondering if anyone has any pics or links that would help me know what to look out for?
    Cheers col, u saved my hard earned,

Mr h

TeeBee and micklyan like this.
  6. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Price well below what I’ve seen them advertised for plus free art :)

mr happy likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Runners changed late 76.
    ie 77 model starts August 76 from memory so advertised correct but changeover year.
    They are more comfortably shaped than earlier model but do your own assessment as to cost suitability etc

Run it past the boys doing the bodywork.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM
  8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That passenger seat is definitely from a Bay and not a T3.

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They are as mentioned:rolleyes: late model seats 76 -77 just before change over period . Does the drivers seat have back rest adjustmento_O,the earlier seats have a knob at the front to adjust back rest theses don't unless build in from the side triangle section that joins the to sections(top & bottom) which are meant to have plastic covers on. Price is a fair price and is market value.:)
    Mr Wilson is missing on one head rest;):D

mr happy and TeeBee like this.
  10. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Post up some pictures of the 2 seat areas in your bay.

I have the original seats out of my 79 which I'm thinking of selling and might fit (brown basket weave in pretty good shape)
    I also have the clips/brackets for the passenger side that fit on the wheel tubs and the bulk head.

If you want to go comfy I've got 2 captains chairs out of a t3 (with arm rests) that could do with re upholstering and 4x t2/t3 seat runners
    they're a good fit if you don't have deluxe door cards (ones with vents along them that go to the back).

11. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

My bus is November 76, seat areas below, confused a little. I'm not a complete puritan and don't necessarily have my heart set on original seating but am open to options, the easier the better
    Mr h
    2FC3B625-0BB9-408A-A8E1-CF7F88832755.jpeg 07316591-00EA-4364-A525-9D7F1207B2B3.jpeg 6B423641-FDCA-41CB-BE8B-0756B29CC9F5.jpeg 6C83D828-8AA3-4AFB-9B9B-4E0119F6BC01.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 11:38 AM
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Your seat runners are the early ones.
    They would need to be changed to fit any of the seats I have (except maybe the passenger)
    I can put up some pics next week.

mr happy likes this.
  13. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Ok guys,
    What about these, would they fit?
    Mr h

68428E7C-68B2-46C2-82BB-EBFE2C644DCF.jpeg 3FA7F354-3D69-4423-BC16-A32B019CCC2F.jpeg

14. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i haven't looked at the bottom of seats for a while but the first two you posted look familiar.

the passenger seat has a tab on each side at the back on the bottom that goes into either of those two circular cutouts that are sticking up near the door - there's a similar tab that screws in towards the centre of the van (i'd have a spare if needed)..the reason there's two cutouts is so that you can recline the seat a bit. on the back of the seat there is an upward facing hook that slips into a 'handle like thing' on the van behind the seat. to put the seat in you lift the front of the seat, put the tabs in the circular cutouts and as you drop the front of the seat make sure the hook slips up into the 'handle like thing'

the drivers seat has two outward facing tracks that slide into the inward facing tracks welded to the vans body...the lever at the front lifts those toothed bits under the seat then when you let go it engages into the teeth welded onto the vans body

Wayne murray likes this.
  15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I reckon the first drivers seat you have will fit. My DC is Aug 76 and that seat and base looks the same to me.

melissa likes this.
  16. KahunaKombi

17. KahunaKombi

This picture from the link will provide the mounting points -

[​IMG]

18. KahunaKombi

Where's @David H :rolleyes: ..... he has a 1976 SO possibly he could take some pictures of his front seats removed and post up as no doubt he'd like to help :cool:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 5:07 PM
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Apologies.
    They are the early seats.
    So runners not needed.

But I would still get quotes and do the calculations re refurbishment from fully cleaning up frames to full trim.

tintop likes this.
  20. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Hi Col,
    So out of the 2 sets of seats i have posted will any any fit my bus?
    Mr h