1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front seats

Discussion in 'Interior' started by oceandreams66, Aug 8, 2009.

1. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

This is a pic of my front seats from behind. Other kombis i've seen seem to have a hard frame behind the seats, is mine normal? It's a 77 micro. Not even sure what these frames are called but would be good to have them if you wanted to put in a cooler or storage box behind them.

Attached Files:

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Being a 77, yours probably never had them in the first place. This was a progression in models as VW moved on to the T3. There are 2 good things (that I can think of) of not having the bulkhead panels behind your seats,
    1. You are able to recline your seat back for a more comfortable ride (especially passenger).
    2. You can fit swivel bases and be able to turn your seats around into the middle.

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

As Melissa points out, there are no bulkheads on imported deluxe microbuses (ie from 77 onwards ....) - it seems that prior to 77, Australia only had standard buses (assembled here).

4. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I actually looked back at older posts and found a similar question asked so I don't feel so silly now :)

5. josh-kombi-kid

josh-kombi-kid New Member

what were the bulkheads used for anyway??? :/

6. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Am guessing that they were to protect front seat passenger and driver from heavy goods flying around the back of commercial vehicles but that is just a guess....

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I believe they are a structural item as well.
    Plus the passenger seat back rest hooks into the bulkhead.