1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front underneath tray thingy

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by DrowningBitByBit, Jun 23, 2020.

1. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

So, I'd noticed that the tray that sits underneath the van between the bumper and the gear shifter (what's it properly called?) was a bit loose and I thought to myself "I should tighten that up", but sadly, I didn't think "I should tighten that up now", which is why there was a hell of a noise and then me underneath the van (terrifyingly) by the side of the M1 yesterday removing the last bolt that was holding it on so I could carry on driving home.

The tray has got only 5 holes for screws - 1 to the side and 3 at the back, and none at the front. It looks like it ought to fit over the lip of the bumper or something to be held up at the front, but doesn't seem to fit, possibly due to the bull-bars.
    The screws were mismatched and didn't seem to fit or grip very well.

So my questions are...
    • Should the tray clip or sit on the bumper/body at the front?

• What size/type of screw/bolt are supposed to be in there?

• Am I missing a trick here - is there a mod to do to keep the tray in place and not scraping along the M1 in a much too exciting fashion?

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

splash tray, splash pan etc... if the screw holes are chewed out you can put in new ones just about anywhere along the edges (if you want to be quick about it - tek screws and a cordless drill) - spring washers will help to stop them vibrating loose.

DrowningBitByBit likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

......or, if the threads are stripped, you can re-tap the same hole with a slightly larger tap.
    Upsizing the bolts won’t affect anything and will keep everything (close to) stock.
    I think the original bolts are 10 mm......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    MAP77 and DrowningBitByBit like this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

On my 76 I have 6 fixing points 3 along back one on either side and one in the front,holding it on. The screws /bolts from what I've seen are a mix match between screws and bolts and a one owner 72 also had screws and bolts holding the splash pan on. Trying to remember which went where was a pain in butt:eek:,so I changed the screws over to nutserts :)so they are know all the same size M6 x 12 or 16 mm long (phillips pan head thread bolt.) The body mould has a flat section wide enough on the underside of the car at the front to have a fixing point.

cbus, DrowningBitByBit and MAP77 like this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I also had a mixture of stripped threads ....various heads...went with @tintop & just drove some metal teks into new area. No longer have tray under thingy after fitting @MAP77 roo bar.
    Cheers

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Could be a reason for your sloppy gear change
    All that grit and road grime getting into important parts

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hardly done any mileage since resto...(which is when tray came off...he's had one all his life until recent) the slops been there forever. Just thought it normal kombi but in my old age I've decided to see if it can be better than stirring honey;).
    Just bought a couple of bushes:D. See what happens when front bush replaced;).
    Cheers

rstucke likes this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Front bush and selector coupling are THE first things to check David......;)
    Cheers,
    Mark