1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front windscreen removal.

Discussion in 'Body' started by Winged, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Winged

Winged Active Member

Hi, is it worth me attempting to remove my windscreen to replace the seal. Can I just cut the old seal, do repairs to sill then call some windscreen guy to put it back in?
    Thanks for any guidance.
    Winged

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

You can do that, but I have found that if they break the screen reinstalling it will be YOUR problem...... Bay windscreens aren't that bad to install.....

3. Winged

Winged Active Member

Is it beyond a 1st timer?

4. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Interested in any advice or recommendations looking to do the same on my bay too

5. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

I would think if they break it then they would be legally responsible for it. Regardless of who supplies the screen or the seal they are performing the work.

6. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I always cut the old screen out and have my pannel shop organise the reinstall, they get a guy in that they always use and know his work and never had a problem. Never reuse an existing or old seal as they do get damaged when removed.

jobell likes this.
  7. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Has anyone had any problems with regular auto glass installers working on their vans?

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I've replaced one screen in my '76 through Shannons "1 free replacement windscreen per year" benefit that comes with their comprehensive policy.

The fella that came out was an old school trimmer that only installs on classic vehicles.
    I supplied the seal & he did all the work……..absolutely brilliant job & a nice bloke to boot.
    He had all the right gizmos to help re-fit the head liner into the seal & knew how to work the cord without tearing the seal.
    ( Was even happier when the was no rust unveiled once the screen & seal came out .)

Just another tick for Shannons I suppose.

9. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

I replaced the Seal and re-fitted the same Glass with the help of a mate. not hard at all, as long as your mate puts a little pressure on the screen while you pull the cord from inside, it helps to brush some liquid soap on the opening, and go twice around the seal with the cord

Cheers Tony.

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Dont use liquid soap or dish washing liquid as it contains salt. Can use Pears baby shampoo watered down.

11. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Thanks Mate didn't Know that,
    Cheers Tony.:)

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

ditto that.
    its what my windscreen guy uses and he's on the ball re standards etc.

make sure the rubber flares out at the edges[especialy bottom] to ensure seal. Any seals that sit with edge at 90deg to bodywork will allow water to sit under rubber and body WILL rust.
    Dont need sealant unless the body is out of wack [in which case it should be fixed :( ]