1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Jenny Frappell, Oct 7, 2016.

1. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

I’ve been noticing that I seem to get under 13 when city driving and over 13 when doing longer freeway trips… my theory is that doing 90kph at around 3500rpm means there is more fuel pumping around versus doing 60kph and probably 2500rpm.
    Thoughts….

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That’d be unusual…..
    Stop start city driving is more likely to be less fuel efficient than highway cruising once you’re up to speed.
    Of course no highway run is without hills etc. but generally you should be getting better figures on a distance run.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

That’s what I thought. It maybe more of a coincidence of when I check fuel economy and it’s been windy. Flying brick economy. Hmmm

oldman likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Open road cruising is better for fuel economy then city stop, start. :rolleyes: better for the hair as well.:eek:
    After you do some cruising are you filling up straight away or do you drive around a bit after cruising (city driving), as this kills your good economy you would of got from being on the open road

chris taylor likes this.
  5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Like what you say Wayne and it does make sense, but from a
    a general point I like to do a bit of both to give me a better idea of how many klms I can safely do between fills .
    Just my thoughts.

6. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

I do agree with highway cruising being better for milage but on paper it doesn’t seem right. My morning trip is 40kms with 30kms of that at 80kph. Arvo trip is 15kms but it’s city driving. It’s a mix of highway for a few days and city for a few more. The highway areas in the morning are quite open and a few spots the bus always moves around due to winds off the mountains…. I fill up approx every 300kms and it costs $45 most times….
    I only started checking economy a month ago.
    At the end of the day, I’m going to keep driving as I do cause I enjoy driving the bus even if it’s costing more in fuel than the other cars we own. (They all average 9L/100).

onetrackwonder and chris taylor like this.
  7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I agree,you sort of feel special when your driving it and I guess that's why we have them ,but still a pays to know mechanically, how they going and keeping an eye on yr fuel usage is another way of doing that..
    Cheers.

MeMatt likes this.
  8. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

No city driving in Central Tilba, wind through your hair, cheers Greg

9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

That's not a fuel economy number.
    Would be good to know what you get (around Tilba and long runs)
    We're down that way heaps
    9.5 kl/100 old 40mm Webers, 12.6 with the 44's. I think I need to do some more jetting to get the air/fhel ratios right
    More power, less temperature though (having trouble getting it over 100deg)

onetrackwonder and chris taylor like this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Most want 'under' 100deg.
    Less wear at that temp;).
    Cheers

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

needs to be above 100 C to get the water out.
    Otherwise you end up with mayonnaise everywhere.

Mordred likes this.
  12. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Rick I have never tested my milage, I plan on doing a couple of test runs before we set off for Nambucca, one run up the coast to Gerringong for an overnighter and then we might have a couple of days down in Mallacoota and see what we never got a chance to see at the bus stop due to our break down so I will put pen to paper on our trips and will get back to you, cheers Greg

oldman and rstucke like this.