1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel injectors....

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Dapom, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

hey all :)
    So in the ongoing saga of my bus I'm still trying to source replacement fuel injectors at reasonable cost. Cheapest I can find in Aus is $300 for refurbished Not playing that game.
    My ideal would be new and so got to thinking that there's gotta be another vehicle with the same injectors. The info that I need and cannot find anywhere (I mean hours n hours of googling) is the flow rate of the standard injectors. I have found a converter for modern style injectors with a top o-ring which has a barb on top to take fuel hose so if I can find the flow rate I can at least go hunting for something suitable.
    Any help much appreciated :)
    Cheers.

2. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

After market
    http://www.busdepot.com/022906031d

I have made the assumption you have an '82 air cooled? Injectors varied through the years.
    If you do a search on the bosch part number you can get these cheaper directly out of China

That said, not sure I would trust them! I bought an after market set for my '89 (from Van café) just to have as spare set on hand. I had a local mobile guy clean my injectors, replaced the screen and hose while I had mine out to replace the seals. Out of interested I asked him to check the after market ones, he said the flow rate, spray pattern etc matched the factory one very well.
    I have not used them, but good to know if I ever have to.

3. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Sorry...yes 82/83 a/c cv engine :) I had my set cleaned and screens done etc but then they sat for a bit before fuel got run through them and it would appear the cleaning fluid has gummed up :-/ the saga of everything I've tried is in another thread lol
    The other option I'm looking at is the possibility of being able to use wbx injectors and remove the resistor pack. Still investigating that to see if it's a go or not.
    Will do a China search and see what I can find :) thanks for the tip :)

4. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Oh, I should have added the cheap Chinese ones I found were for a later model, have not looked for any for an earlier bus.

If your looking to use a different injector, would be worth setting up so you can test and compare flow rates (as well as electrical load)
    I can;t remember if yours runs a O2 sensor? If not, the ECU is not checking the mixture is correct.

I've not played with this before, so am certainly no expert!

5. marvinsfan

marvinsfan Member

if they have only sat and appears gummed up, why not try to get ultrasonic cleaned? final thing I had to do when my injectors had gummed up with fuel varnish after 2 years sitting, see end of my thread - http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/t3-bent-push-rods.52974/

6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

They were ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested etc etc then sat and gummed up after that :-/ have tried everything I can think of to clear them which is how I end up here.
    using the China tip I managed to find flow rates and impedance of the standard Bosch injectors. They flow 190cc @ 3 bar and impedance is 2.4ohms. I have found Toyota Hilux with 22re engines run injectors which flow 188cc @ 3 bar and impedance is 2.1 ohms. Does that slight difference in impedance matter?? If not then I can get a new set of 4 for $100 and the converter caps from o ring to hose tail are about $12 each so full set all new for $150ish. I might have found a cost effective solution! Next step will be a wreckers yard to get one cheap and check fitment....

7. autron

autron Member

8. autron

autron Member

9. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I came up with!! Except I went with a Duracell and mouth on the dirty hose....never seen that before on YouTube lol I used wynns super concentrate injector cleaner and still no go.
    The aerosol carb cleaner route is worth a go though....next game. Will report results :)

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So will different grades and brands of fuel clog up injectors, or even clean out injectors differently from others? :rolleyes:

11. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

That I don't know Grantus. I know there's BP 98 in the tank at the mo. I hadn't tried carb cleaner as was unsure if it would eat anything in the injectors but if it's good enough for YouTube....hehe. Can't f*ck them anymore than they already are....

12. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

Get onto EFI Hardware in Melbourne, I get all my stuff from them, and cheap

13. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

That's where the hose top adapters are from I think :) thanks for the recommendation :)

14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

So I have received my new injectors from bus depot :) I have a question...I have emailed bus depot but thought I'd ask here too. The new injectors don't have pintle caps.....just the injector body and then the pintle(?) visible in the end. I'm used to seeing mine with the cap with the tiny hole. Anyone know if the caps need to be fitted or if new injectors don't require them?!? I've hunted and can't find a definitive answer and certainly don't want to be screwing this up lol
    Cheers :)

15. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

So just for everyone's future reference the reply from bus depot today....
    'The pintle cap is required. You can run the injectors without them but you run the risk of fouling the injectors at best and blowing out the cylinder. Unfortunately we do not offer the cap nor am I aware of anyone that does..'
    I am hoping I can switch the pintle caps from my old injectors over as they are new. If not I will have to source some. One stumbling block after another!!

16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I got a set of reco injectors from Vancafe and they came complete with pintle caps so that is pretty poor od Bus Depot to supply useless injectors.

17. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Yeah a bit crap but they are new not reco for the same price and I cannot fault their customer service. Let's face it, after all I've been through with this bus, missing pintle caps is just a minor blip! At least I know what the issue is this time :)

18. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Ive bought some VL commo/ RB30 injectors for mine.

plenty of hose tail, same flow rate and cheap. Just the standard resistance I'm not sure on, these are 3 ohm. And running a full custom ECU this will not be an issue anyway IMG_20160529_135031 (Large).jpg

The VW seals need to be used though as the ones that come with them are to small

19. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Standard resistance for air cooled injectors is listed at 2.4ohms. I kept looking at those same injectors! Will be interested to see how it turns out as they're certainly plentiful and cheap :)

20. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

And now I'm pissed off. Took out old injectors and removed a pintle cap and the bus depot ones are a different size. ARRRRRGGHHHH. I really thought that today was the day that my bus would run :( must be beer o'clock.