1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel leak

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by jsmiller, May 10, 2020.

1. jsmiller

jsmiller Active Member

Well much to my frustration after filling up yesterday it started pissing fuel out everywhere! During all my recent work on it I had the fuel tank out and changed everything! Every hose every seal every vent tube everything!! This was the third fill up sense it’s been back on the road and had no leaks before but now its leaking! Again.
    As far as I can tell the only place it could be coming from is where the sender and float goes in?
    But now after I let it drip out (about half a litre) it’s fine? Pulled it back in the garage and it doesn’t even smell like petrol anymore?? Parked it on my very steep driveway and nothing? Can’t get it to leak now?!?
    Now having had the entire fuel system out and apart etc I didn’t see any other vent or anywhere where fuel could come out of if it was say overfilled?
    I really don’t want to pull that bloody fuel tank out again! Getting that back in was the hardest thing I’ve ever done on one of these vans! Absolute Nightmare!
    Any ideas folks?

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

When you say you changed everything, where did you source the parts to do this?

My guess is the source of the leak, is in the elbow connectors to the breather tank crossover fuel pipe.

Before you take out the tank, go and fill it up again, and check up and inside the wheel arches around the top of the those plastic tanks, to see if the leak starts there.

3. jsmiller

jsmiller Active Member

Those where the first thing I checked and they were all still in place and dry! So given that and where is was leaking I reckon it was from the gauge send or/float location.

4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

It’s possible that you have dislodged one of the tees or grommets that they pop into. If it won’t leak when parked on a slopes driveway then I would say it’s unlikely to be the sender and more likely to be something higher up the tank. It is possible to get an arm over the chassis rail to check the tees without dropping the tank. Does involve a small amount of skin loss on the forearms but that’s less painful than dropping the tank ;)

David H likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I replaced my tank and it took 18 months before it started leaking.

there is a whole process of bending tabs to get the sender to seal properly

my mechanic ended up making a cork seal
    That was 2 years ago. all good since then.

Why someone doesn’t make a kit that just screws down is beyond me.
    Why VW didn’t do that the first time is a bigger WTF??

you should be able to take a pic from the rear of the tank.
    See if I can find a pic

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ok can’t find a pic

but if you get under neath and take a pic “up the valley” of the tank- if the wet Mark is wide, it’s from the sender

if it’s thin, it’s one of the grommets

Dapom likes this.
  7. Grantus

I still think that maybe one of these numbers, is playing “I’ve got a secret!”o_O
    upload_2020-5-10_22-56-34.png

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

The leak will be from the crummy white plastic T on the crossover pipe, the small vent tube take off can develop a hairline crack or part altogether, the broken pit can be held in place
    by the unyielding vent pipe so that visually they look ok.

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I put the aluminium ones in mine

believe there use to be brass ones you could braze in

10. jsmiller

jsmiller Active Member

I’ve got brand new plastic T’s in and from what I can tell they are all in place and not leaking. Why I think it must be from the sender area which has a new O-ring. I don’t know if there enough room to get my arm up in there through the tunnel to check?
    But dang what a pain in the arse! Maybe I’ll just leave it for now and fill up to 90%

11. Grantus

My brand new plastic T’s were so badly made, they lasted 10 days, whilst I waited for the aluminium ones to arrive from the US.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

you should be able to get under the van and take a pic by just holding your phone up and snapping away.

that O ring can be a pain

13. jsmiller

jsmiller Active Member

I wish I’d got those ones! But they aren’t leaking yet :cool:.

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

See if you can get an inspection camera and just lower the tank bout 20mm - should be able to get one of those cameras in and allow it to move around.

Might need to get a Jerry can and fill the tank again so that it leaks a bit so show you where it is leaking from - fuel dries up quickly.

At least you can find the culprit before you end up cuddling it again.

jsmiller likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you jack the front up and take off the front wheels you can shove your head in just behind the strut and you can see those suckers

I did this yesterday while looking for a rattle

16. JohnE

JohnE New Member

I think my little gem was number 4 into 16 , I managed to get a zip clip onto it and stop the leak but the tank Will need to come out before I feel happy putting more than 30 litres in there. Only 90.000 kms on the clock and on it's second fuel tank. But I forgive it.

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

dunno ...... but I am surprised liquid fuel goes up that high, even in slosh round

JohnE likes this.
  18. JohnE

JohnE New Member

l know I overfilled the tank on that occasion but was surprised how easy it was to dislodge that line.

19. General Vee

General Vee Member

T3 fuel tank...what a @#$% fight. Has any one been able to simplify at all / remove those plastic bottles and hoses?

JohnE likes this.
  20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You mean take them out or get rid of them?