1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel sender repair

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by mwizz, Jun 23, 2018.

1. mwizz

mwizz Member

HI all. I have a 69 Brazilian split window. Very much the same as a 67. I have pulled the sender unit from it and removed the rod with float from the tube as shown in the pics. I have not been able to find any pics or info on this same type of sender unit so far on the web. I have been also looking at Samba.com.

There are two very fine wires that are soldered to contacts just under the top plate. They have broken their contact. There appears to be contacts on each side of the float that slides up and down the rod. There is also a piece of plastic at the bottom of the rod. My query is whether the wires actual run through the contacts on the float and secure to the bottom plastic piece. That seems to make sense to me. The other option would be to secure it to the contacts on the float itself but that means the wires would just loose when the float was at the top. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Yes, correct, one continuous length.
    I used the wire from a late bay sender, they are longer than the splittie (beetles too short).
    When you solder in a new wire, lift up the spring contact before soldering, to get tension on the wire.

3. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Like this
    split_fuel_sender.jpg

mwizz and David H like this.
  4. mwizz

mwizz Member

Brilliant, thankyou. Do you know what gauge the wire is as I will need to try and source some from somewhere. The thinnest that Jaycar have is 0.25mm.

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

The wire needs a specific resistance. Its not the gauge that matters.

6. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

mwizz likes this.
  7. mwizz

mwizz Member

Thanks I was able to do the test from that write up that confirmed that my fuel gauge is okay. So just trying to work out what the resistance should be at the various levels for a 12V system.

8. mwizz

mwizz Member

Just found some numbers on a Samba.com thread for a 12v system. Thanks Alpal and Old Dubber for pointing me in the right direction.

Full: 4.5 ohms
    3/4: 23.7 ohms
    1/2: 47.5 ohms
    1/4: 67.1 ohms
    Empty:83.8 ohms
    "R" Needle just lifted - 100 ohms

Just need to source some wire now.

9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    mwizz and David H like this.
  10. mwizz