1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full on oil

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Cooper_Hendrix, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Cooper_Hendrix

Cooper_Hendrix Member

What are the effects on your motor if you run it with more oil than the full line? And i should be checking my oil before its warmed up yeah?
    Novice questions, just want to get it right.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Too full is not good. Too empty is not good. A little bit either way is not bad.

3. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

If you are talking just over the mark (5mm or so) not an issue, you will probably burn or leak it away.
    If you are way over the mark (10mm or more) you can start to get too much oil pressure in areas of the engine and you will get leakage from oil seals etc.
    There is a device called a "sludge pump" you can get from SCA and the like (normally pretty cheap) they look like a bicycle pump and works in reverse.
    You insert the thin tube of the sludge pump into the oil dipstick tube down below the oil level and then pull the handle away from the pump drawing oil into the pump.
    Remove the pump from the dipstick tube and empty the oil into a suitable container, check oil level with dipstick ad repeat until you are happy with the level.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Or fill it slowly and check as you go!

5. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

Or undo the sump plug slightly to let a small amount drain out... but then drop the nut and end up soaking the driveway in oil because you only expected to let a small amount out so didn't have a large container handy. :(

(not that I'm bitter about anything that may or may not have occurred in the driveway last year ;))

6. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

20/20 hindsight.
    Love it :)

7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes, and don't do it when the engine or oil is still hot... never a good result :lol: Best to get a clean 5 ltr container, drop all the oil out so you can get the sump plug back out with magnet on a stick, then put the right amount back in and use the rest for topping up. If your VW engine doesn't use/loose oil it means you don't drive it anywhere.

T1 Terry

8. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Or there is none left in the sump and you should refill to the appropriate mark on the dip-stick :)

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So if it uses or loses around a litre every 1000km, which you then have replace at regular intervals, and end up putting 5 new litres of oil in, every 5000kms, is it necessary to do the 5000kms oil change?

Or does it then become a "self changing" machine, with no service interval required? :wtf:

I suppose a new filter every 5k would help, but even that filter is only filtering a lot of new oil.........

10. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Yes Grant, you still have to change the oil :)
    All the solids that are suspended in the oil are removed at the change as well as the crap stuck in the oiil filter.
    If you don't change the oil regularly the sump will turn into a mud puddle.

11. Great question Grant! I nuclear plumes of black smoke after a routine service with a new mechanic. Been back twice. Told it's the engine over heating causing the oil raise & burn. Drained her twice & the level dropped just above halfway & told "I don't like your engine" but won't go into detail why?!. she's never been the same since! So now I have become disheart & nervous to drive her or take her to a new mechanic! :(

12. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

After 40+ years of VW ownership I have found the only reliable way to check the oil level is to do it before the first engine start of the day and to go by the following method, remove dipstick and wipe, WAIT about 10-15 seconds, insert dipstick WAIT 10-15 seconds, remove dipstick and read level, the logic behind this procedure is due to action of oil displacement when the dipstick is inserted and removed quickly to check the level (no rude comments you lot) I bet most you will find your oil level will be unexpectedly different if you try it.

13. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Wait for it.... :)

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

There is a device called a "sludge pump" you can get from SCA and the like (normally pretty cheap) they look like a bicycle pump and works in reverse.

What engine are we talking about here...? This type of pump ^^ won't work on a 1600 'cause of the position of the baffle in the filler tube. Baffle is there to help prevent blow back of oil up the filler when the engine is running.....better off easing out the sump plug, but do it cold. Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012