1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas bottle storage

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by The 4 of bus, Apr 13, 2019.

1. The 4 of bus

The 4 of bus Member

Apologies, have tried looking for a straight answer but getting different ideas on the other threads.

Looking at building a little kitchenette behind passenger seat with a pull out drawer to house the 2 burner gas cooktop, pots and pans and a gas bottle. Some of the threads said it was illegal to house the gas bottles behind the seat? Is this only the case for running the 3 way fridge? We would be taking out the gas bottle when setting up camp and storing it at home when not camping. I have attached a similar picture to what we are wanting to do.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You are allowed to carry a bottle of up to 2.5 kg permanently.
    A couple of 4.5 for limited distances.
    Some wordings could indicate 4.5 any time you like.

What you CANNOT do is have a bottle connected to a fridge or other appliance either temporarily or fixed unless the bottle is contained in a cabinet that is sealed to the inside and vented to outside.
    This must be installed and certified by a registered gasfitter.

There are safety devices available to prevent leakage when disconnected.
    I would be tempted to vent storagearea at floor level to under the van as lpg and propane are heavier than air and can sit inside the van if a leak exists.

David H and rstucke like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would add that fixed gas installations make getting insurance more difficult , even when certified.

David H likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

This what I found for NSW

In NSW.........
    Transport:
    • When transporting cylinders in the car the total capacity must not exceed 9kg. The cylinders should be transported in an upright position, secured, preferably in the boot. Do not leave LPG bottles in a vehicle unnecessarily.
    • No more than two cylinders should be carried in a car at any one time.
    https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=716