1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas stove warning

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by saabman, Mar 6, 2015.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes Bernieā€¦.potentially a very dangerous thing.
    Mate of my son's was horribly burn't when the seal on one of these failed while a burner was alight.
    Good on you for posting this up.
    Lots of folks using these unaware of the potential hazard.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

based on personal experience I would suggest that the type of canister may be the issue.
    running Companion canisters with no issues
    on same cheap cooker I had the common cheap canisters. THINK it was campmaster but will confirm. yellow/green? and usually cheaper than anything else.
    2 packs from widely different sources were nearly all faulty and difficult to obtain a seal
    have used 2 slightly dearer brands with zero issues.

would definately advise REMOVING canisters when stored.

I guess it follows that using large diameter cooking vessels that divert flames close to the canister area may also cause issues even on sound brands of canister

Certainly caution is needed due to the potential injuries if one went up.

KombiFringe likes this.
  4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I've got the double version of these cookers and yes it did leak at the O ring seat where the nozzle on the gas canister seats into the regulator valve ! :oops: I replaced the O rings with Quality Viton ones, however overheating of the canister is still an issue, I have now withdrawn ours from use.
    Just ANOTHER junk product that's NOT China free, thanks for the "heads up" Bernie. :(

5. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I've got the twin burner one as well I've not experienced any issue with mine - used it extensively
    Will be sad to retire it

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Bugger,

I love these things as the canisters are so small and dont take up masses of room in the kombi.

I have used mine many time in well ventilated situations and in my tent without any issue.

Still not convinced.....

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I have to own up to using 2 in my kitchen after my cooktop hotplates died and I bought another one but it didn't fit in the space where the old one went. I ummed and ahhed about whether to buy another cooktop or replace the benchtop - took me over 12 months so I used 2 of those little gas cookers with no problems. My power bill went down!

Ended up buying another cook top before Christmas so the gas cookers have been retired.

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's a bit sensible Grant!:)

10. Grantus

Sorry Phil, it happens occasionally...........:eek:

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes, but this is a forum.

12. Grantus

But not just any forum....... KC is a bit different, to the other totally ill informed advice forums, isn't it? :rolleyes:

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes we have informed ill advice!

14. Grantus

It's fine to use the same tongs to throw the raw chicken on the camp cooker, and to then use them to also serve the salad?

Is that the kind of "informed ill advice" you're referring too? o_O

15. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Where is Kombivan when we need some advice :)

16. Grantus

I think there's still a link in Brendan's (Special Air Service) signature, to the forum he's currently haunting. ;)

17. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

I agree the Cans with the proper CRV certification are sold by big W. The other camp shops have gone into non CRV cans but are certified for something else. Fire brigade excursion trip said only use Korean made CRV accredited cans. Control release valve on the can adds to safety. I have been using the for years and the safety lock pops off when can gets hot.seen quite a few flaming stoves with non CRV cans.
    I have had a fire with a gas BBQ. What do we do now? Mega batteries and induction stove?

18. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

10 years of using these as a tour guide and personal camping, no probs ever. Then again, next week the lot could go up. I tend to use them away from vehicles tents etc, safer that way.

19. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Four million sold in this country and then they ban them. These rocket surgeons in charge of our safety are just really on the ball. They must be the same clowns who let us fill our houses with dieldrin and asbestos. No wait. They are actually dangerous.
    Was looking for a second one to carry and found one yesterday - the joys of living in a small country town I guess.

20. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Have litigated this issue .
    Have had the benefit of perusing expensive expert opinion for hire on the matter .
    As identified by you all ......... poorly sealed canisters...... But perhaps most interesting of all ...... As pointed out by C bus........ biggest problem seems to be oversized cooking appliances directing/ radiating heat downwards to the canister which is universally paper thin .
    Even more disturbing is that this has been happening for quite some years, with every state recording multiple hospital admissions . The true numbers are unknown as many of the incidents did not result in injury but rather dinner splattered all over a campsite and in one instance , a tent.
    Difficult to post-mortem failed canister after it has exploded , but the incident narratives, identified many cases big appliances and long cooking times .
    There are some knowledgeable and wise people on this forum .....this thread only one example.
    Except for you Col .......still getting over the vision of you in a dinner jacket and fishnets ( vide gala dinner thread ) .
    snorted my coffee all over the desk!

me in Adelaide :cool:

melissa likes this.