1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gas struts

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by petersbilt, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM.

1. petersbilt

petersbilt New Member

HI T3 owners . what does one do with original vw struts on back of tail gate can they be regased or replaced. thanks petersbilt.

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I just bought new ones from JK.

Believe that they can be regassed butvwas too easy to swap over.

Bloody good product from JK.
    In fact a bit too good.
    Now you can almost do chin ups on the end of the tail gate when it’s open

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I found the regassing cost to the old ones, was about the same cost as new ones.......... so I also went for new ones.

4. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Like Grant I found regassing unreliable the reason the gas got out in the 1st place is that the seal is worn and regassing lasted a short period and the bloke who did them wouldn't do it again without charging... so ....... The worst part of this is I was doing for customers which left me looking silly and I don't like that. Tooley Imports sell them at a reasonable price.

syncro, KahunaKombi and David H like this.
  5. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I got a set off eBay a couple of years ago. They are,as Barry said, a bit too good....I smacked myself in the face with the tail gate the first time I opened it lol they were $35 delivered :)

6. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

They are so cheap now its not worth regassing old ones - and another trade skill disappears...

David H and Barry like this.