1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear change issues

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Corey Goldsack, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Corey Goldsack

Corey Goldsack New Member

Hi guys,
    I am after some assistance. The problem I have is one of the bolts that holds a bracket in place that holds the tubing in place to guide the clutch cable up to where the butterfly nut screws on, has come loose. Now I've screwed it back in a couple of times and it comes out, which in turn doesn't allow me to change gears. I'm currently outside of volksworld in Moorabbin but he's on holiday and tried another to no avail. Is anybody able to help please?
    Thank you

2. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

hmmm, sounds like a stripped thread on either the bolt or stud or the gearbox casing that it screws into. New bolt (easy fix) or new thread in housing (bugger). Either option doesn`t require a VW expert - basic mechanic stuff. Can`t remember if its a stud or bolt - if a stud you could get away with a bolt to get you going.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3D3A2846-B05E-4761-A573-4EFE0BE562F6.jpeg
    Sounds like it is the bracket on the RHS in the pic.
    It is important as it sets the bend of the Bowden tube and this is what is stopping you changing gears.

Somehow you will need to get this bolted back in

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Few turns sounds like broken bolt or stripped in case which is common.
    Have a look and see if my suggestion is feasible.

You could tighten clutch wingnut a couple of turns and get some clutch operation.
    The bracket should foul on case and limit movement.
    If this works get it fixed asap in case more damage done.

If necessary, and auto shop nearby, wash bolt and hole with electrical or brake cleaner in aerosol Can.
    Mix some metal reinforced 5 minute epoxy and glue bolt back in place to act as a pin at least.

Issue will be that full strength takes longer than 5 min.

If mechanicaly adept , start in gear and drive home without clutch.
    A timesert should sort any stripped thread.

Barry likes this.
  5. Corey Goldsack

Corey Goldsack New Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for responding. Tony from Volksworld turned up and gave me a hand as best as he could because he was super busy. Ended being a striped thread.
    Got in touch with Dale from Tucker Road Motors who fixed it by drilling and tapping a new hole.
    All is good and very grateful.
    Thank you muchly

oldman and cbus like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Good outcome.