1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear selector tube

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by mwizz, Jan 19, 2020.

1. mwizz

mwizz Member

Hi all, I am in the process of replacing the front crossmember in my 69 Splitty and I have had to cut off the end of the tube/pipe that the gear selector runs through because of rust. It is the 30mm pipe. I am after a section 250mm in length to replace it.

Does anyone have a small section 250mm long that they willing to part with or know where I could buy a section. I live in SA.

Thanks
    Mark

[​IMG]

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Can’t use normal black steel ERW pipe?

Should be able to get it from a hydraulic or mechanical services plumber easily?

3. mwizz

mwizz Member

Thanks Barry. Had only recently started looking with no success as yet but will try as you suggest.

4. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Had the same problem. I fabricated a piece of tube from flat sheet, moulded it around a piece of water pipe.
    When you have the required diameter either weld or pop rivet the overlap. It does not have to be precision work.
    Left it slightly larger at the rear to slip over the existing section. Did the usual prime and paint.
    Fit your new "pipe" loose into the cross member before welding the cross member in place.
    I left the join at the bottom (your choice) when I tacked welded it into the crossmember.
    From memory I modified some "Shuttlecock" bushes from a late bay window to stop the gear selector rod rattle.
    And managed to find a rubber boot to fit at the front.

mwizz and David H like this.
  5. mwizz

mwizz Member

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

6. 6621104

6621104 Member

any overlap should be eliminated if at all possible. The shift rod rotates within the guide tube, there are 2 shuttlecock guides which keep the shift rod centralised within the tube. If you are folding the tube from flat sheet use a joggler, eliminate any internal lip that will cause the bushes to hang up! Smooth shifting is a delight!

David H likes this.