1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gold Coast - Alternative accommodation recommendations.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DanSA, Jan 30, 2017.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Hi all.

My wife is requiring some surgery in March that means we need to fly to the GC and stay for a week. She'll be in for a few days and will need a few more to convalesce before the flight back to Adelaide.

This means Im looking for somewhere to stay within proximity of the hospital (GC Private Hosp), total 5 nights. Im also going to try and use the opportunity to have a break from the day to day grind, and hopefully get a few bushwalks in or do some exploring.

Apart from a recent visit up there to meet the surgeon, we don't know the area at all. Not really a fan of all the concrete tower blocks, and was hoping someone with some local knowledge would maybe be able to point us in the direction of a good location to start looking for accommodation. Preferably we would try and use the tram/bus to avoid hiring a car, but this isn't essential.

So GC Kombi clan, any thoughts??

Many thanks..

2. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, not sure if this is any help but we live 3ks from Gold Coast Private, a short walk to the bus stop. We have a spare bedroom and your own bathroom if you want to stay with a fellow Kombi club member. We have a pool, and the only thing is you must love dogs. We have two one is 5 kilos and one is 77kilos, they are inside in our family room.
    If we are not at work when you fly in we could possibly pick you up if you fly into the Gold Coast. Or if its Brisbane you can catch the train from the airport to Helensvale and we could pick you up. We don't know each other but we have opened our house a few times before to KC members and it has worked out ok.
    If you would prefer rental accommodation try airbnb, as long as you are near the tram line you can get to the hospital.

syncro, David H, Miss Rosie and 4 others like this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Mish ;):D:)

mish13 likes this.
  4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Now that's the Kombi Club spirit Michelle, and your home is lovely as are your dogs. I have had the pleasure of staying with you.

I remember going to the loo in the middle of the night and returning to find one beautiful black poodle (Ella) in the bed. Unfortunately she has passed so Dan you will not have this pleasure.

Miss Rosie and mish13 like this.
  5. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Ella's photo popped up on my Facebook page yesterday, I miss that beautiful sole so much.

ruby6689 likes this.
  6. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi Dan
    I was going to suggest Tamborine Mountain (my neck of the woods) there is plenty of great places to stay & with the scenery it would be perfect for a bit of recovery time before heading home !! However you would need to hire a car as it is a bit of a drive to the GC hospital ???

ruby6689 likes this.
  7. lachie

lachie Member

I wouldn't advise parking at the hospital either due to the cost. It is possible to park within walking distance of the tram just on residential streets, to reduce that parking cost.

8. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

You can park at Sharks for $5 a day if you don't mind a short walk, both hospital parking costs are just crazy

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks so much all for the local
    knowledge and very kind offer Michelle. It's not often someone opens up their home to you based purely on a common interest.

I think based on all this we are going to keep local to the hospital area so we can use public transport.
    As much as I would love to head out to the hinterland I don't think it's going to be realistic as I need to be close to hospital for my wife.
    Many thanks again all.

mish13 likes this.