1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gold Coast Mechanics

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Nick Keeling, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Nick Keeling

Nick Keeling New Member

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a kombi mechanic. The two I previously used have shut up shop.
    Cheers Nick.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

3. KahunaKombi

Another on the coast is Vee Dub Salvage and Auto Repairs @ Mermaid Waters - google them and you'll get their fb.

Have not used them and only heard of them from posts by Sonya Joy on here.

4. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

I've used Gunther at https://www.volks-mod.com.au/

Ignore the out of date website, he's in Tallebudgera on the connection road, not Burleigh.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  5. Nick Keeling

Nick Keeling New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. Vdub Salvage was closing, I've used them before and had contacted Volksmod but they had virtually ceased.
    I've had my 82 T3 for 21 years this year and the old girl needs TLC. She has been fantastic and reliable but I think we will need to.part.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Part it out, or part ways, to a new owner? o_O

Have a good think about, coz you may regret the decision, in the years to come........ :rolleyes:

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. Nick Keeling

Nick Keeling New Member

You are probably correct about regretting. My sons would like to continue the journey but neither have mechanical aptitude or the finances at this stage. My friends just say store it until you are ready,at least I wouldn't have to fork out the $800in rego.

8. Grantus

If it needs a lot of TLC, as you suggest, the selling price will be at the bottom end of the market......

If you have somewhere to store it securely, undercover, and not allow further degradation, in years to come, your sons may be in a financial position to get it back on the road.

Even if you sell it in years to come, after storing it correctly, it will be worth more that it is currently.

As an indication, less than 1,000 of the total 4,400 to 4,500 T3’s sold by VW Australia were aircooled, so a bit rare, for those of them still around.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Luckyphil and Syncro27 like this.
  9. KahunaKombi

Seems like the happening thing down the coast - Gold Coast VeeDub @ Labrador have closed their doors also.

Got to be someone down there :rolleyes: .... try contacting Das Resto Parts (07) 5591 7040 - 3A Frinton Street, Southport, 4215 QLD ..... they may be able to put you onto a mechanic on the coast o_O

10. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

VolksMod is closing?!? Bugger!
    This, together with all the others closing down, might be a bit of a problem in the future - So I'll need to work out where to take the van before the inevitable happens.

David H and oldman like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, unfortunately happening a lot these days.
    The older, experienced mechanics are retiring and there are few places, if any, training apprentices on aircooled VW engines.
    The TAFE college I used to teach at sold their vw engines years ago......
    I drive an hour and a half to my mech. ‘cause he knows his stuff ..... and he was considering just building engines because of the attitude of some kombi owners that did not want to to hear the truth.....
    My understanding is that he is not taking on any new (service) business because of ignorant, rude and aggressive walk-ins......
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

our local mechanic stopped working on vws due to finding everything was stuffed , warn out or rusted on.
    He said it costed him money to work on them!
    He said he could not charge some one $200 for trying to remove a rusted bolt to do the other work.
    An most new vw owners thought it would cost $100 to fix the issues when really everything is buggered an warn out an freak when they get a bill for $1000.
    So now he justs does servicing on newer cars an has cut back to his work time to 4 days a week.
    Luckily a few of his old customers with vw,s he will work on them still but they are well maintained.

13. Grantus

Pretty much the identical scenario with my VW mechanic.

14. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What type of TLC does it need? Can you do some of the minor work that is needed?

oldman likes this.
  15. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Here's hoping the young chap at CBBVW will keep the spirit alive.

oldman likes this.
  16. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

The real number of air cooled T3's delivered by mid 1983 is around 650. Then, a modernized healthy 1970cc air cooled Type 4 will outrun most later generation water cooled versions and be a tad easier to maintain.. KEEP IT!

17. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

not true
    I have a few
    One is in my t2
    same only different around the crank case ventilation and dip stick
    Am building a monster from one of them but all in all they have the same hp and torque as 2lt t2's

18. Grantus

I’m no mathematician Rob, but a friend of mine very good at maths, assures me that 650, is “less than 1,000”..... ;) :p

Well @Nick Keeling , that’s 2 votes to keep it, and none to sell it.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 11:53 PM
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Mike went through a few young mechanics before he was comfortable with the fella he chose. Jayden is a nice young guy that meets Mike’s high expectations..........and he always checks his work.
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. KahunaKombi

Can we take the lane down the VW mechanic(s) highway that brings this back onto Gold Coast Mechanics ;)