1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS units

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Barry, Nov 10, 2018.

1. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes, thats the one of many aspect to be confirmed. It does all the tasks: logs planned routes with waypoints, records unschedules exploring routes (breadcrumb trail), photos, and more, and stores them on the Cloud when back online, but not some of the urban things like turn by turn instructions. Still lots more questions to go. Also thinking Garmin or similar for the handheld. Like I say, hate decisions.

2. PICT

PICT Active Member

If you are interested in a tablet you can pick up a Panasonic FZ-G1 quite cheap these days on eBay.

They have great battery life ~9 hrs with the big battery, and a proper inbuilt gps, mine also has a sim card which I put a pre-pay data only card in and top up when need.

chris taylor likes this.
  3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Still shopping around and see Navman use a Westy to promote their Adventure series products. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ok - Navman are crap.

Had a message come that new maps are available.
    So I plugged the unit into my computer and up dated the maps.

All good - back to the van and now the POS just comes up with the starts screen and cycles on and off.

Now to see how painful it is trying to get it fixed / replaced.

Bloody annoying :mad::mad::mad:

5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Looked at getting one of these Satnav things but cant say i have heard a good word about any of them , the daughter wised me up to using the mobile phone for the same thing using google map set up ,easy, accurate and no extra cost involved,
    just bring up your maps and in the box above type where you want to go then tap to search ,it will then ask you your starting point, then it will show you your shortest way or the longest way ,your choice , and the distance of the trip as well as traveling time ,it also talks to you as you go informing you of turnoffs in advanced and the name of the streets involved, if you do not have Bluetooth in the van you can always buy a bluetooth speaker and log it in to your phone ,{ not sure how she did that } but u can sort that out, i used mine a few times and it works a treat.

6. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I had several Tom Tom's but just use google maps on the phone now, works for me

chris taylor likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah - that’s what I am doing.

The GPS does have speed warnings and a few other things but just so disappointed in the rubbish quality

8. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

I’ve had a few over the years but keep going back to Garmin as others don’t seem to last. One of the Garmins in the plane was purchased about 2000 and has done probably 500,000+ km and still working but recently lost a line and a bit of pixels. I have an old 2610 that’s about 20 years old and has never missed a beat but they stopped doing updates a few years ago. Took a Garmin map 60 handheld with to South America when on a motorbike trip and it was a lifesaver, try navigating La Paz traffic with a paper map. It has a card slot as most newer gps’s do and there are numerous free maps to be found and if you are going overseas it’s not hard to download maps for wherever you are going. GPS’s have a lot more features than a phone or tablet. For me it’s a must when visiting cities , takes away all of the arguments with the copilot as her map reading is different to mine sometimes.
    Some have a back tracking function which can come handy if you need to retrace your original track.

Barry likes this.
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Barry - I feel a bit guilty - could this be your missing old Navman? It was in the Mk3 Golf that I bought from your son. Do you want it back?
    Navman.jpg

oldman, TeeBee and Grantus like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@melissa

Hah hah ha....................Ben is hopless sometimes

Next time I see you :)

I rang for warranty on the one that had died - and reloaded the software and finally came good
    But I an trying again now as it just died again!

melissa likes this.
  11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

It will need updating but you might like it better than the new one :)

oldman likes this.