1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great news!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ninga, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Gotta tell you groovers, that I am so proud to be an Aussie today after Australia has won its bid to stop Japan's whaling program, with the country no longer allowed to slaughter whales in the southern Indian Ocean. Thank you Sea Shepherd for protecting these magnificent creatures of the deep and to anyone who helps preserve our planet! :D

Cheers,
    Chrissy

2. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Here here, a top effort, beautiful creatures , lots where I used to live in Kaikoura, NZ

3. istinkgood

istinkgood Member

great day for the whales, sketched this about 15 years ago after being disqusted about a whale being killed save the whale 001.jpg

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Call me cynical but don't have great faith in this being adhered to.
    With the environmental credential of this government they are likely to invite Japan back. Or just let them fish the Great Barrier Reef. Whoops wrong thread again. This pisses me off!

5. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

That's brilliant! I like the way you think mate. :lol:

Chrissy

6. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Agree Al, an inkling of doubt in my mind too. I have no faith in our government. I guess we can only hope it puts us a step closer to justice for whales.

Chrissy.

7. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

I thought it was great news too, but I'm afraid I'm slightly inclining to Alpal's position here.
    Also, as great as it is, I can't help but feel we're being a bit hypocritical as long as we're still culling sharks :S

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I really dont think this is an Australian Government fault that whales were slaughtered.

I think you should be aiming your anger at the Japanese Government & their policies.

Australia stopped killing whales in the 60's.

The Japanese Goverment is already looking at the fine print of the decision and is looking for a way around it - plus they still kill whales in other Pacific regions.

I dont think the Sea Shepperd work is done yet.....

9. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Yeh that's true but I think if the decision was in the hands of the public, it wouldn't be happening at all. Majority would rule against it I'm sure. A late friend of mine used to say the ocean was the sharks dining room and I agree, respect their territory and let them be.

Chrissy.

10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Again, another great point. It is nice to celebrate a win when we have one though. I will keep on supporting Sea Shepherd and the relentless work they do!

Chrissy

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

action was already locked in otherwise current psycopaths [our beloved leader and crew]wouldnt have continued with it unless to give the industry to their mining mates. whoops wrong thread :(
    Its a major win from a prolonged and determined battle.
    Im sure other current actions underway will now be focused on with the ,hopefuly, now available rescources..

good decision by the court

12. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Mining..... Yep, let's definitely all go to the 'What Pisses me off' thread! ;)

Chrissy.

13. Alpal

This government in opposition were against Australia taking action against Japan but are now patting themselves on the back for the win. Not credible on this issue.

14. jobell

jobell Active Member

A definite step in the right direction Chrissy, and worth celebrating, but sadly, I do agree with Alpal.. not convinced the Japanese won't defy the ruling or find a way around it. And lately I've been questioning our position to judge given what is happening in WA with the sharks.

15. Alpal

Maybe we need to take the Victorian Government to the International Court to stop the phony science exercise in the High Country.

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

phony or real science shouldnt be a problem to governments.
    Hasnt abbott closed or cut funding to most?

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

We could write a letter of protest to the Science Minister.........................IF WE STILL HAD ONE!

But alas, this government deleted the position in it's wisdom! :wtf:

18. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Found this today..........
    Whales and live export cartoon.jpg

19. istinkgood

istinkgood Member

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Just before I post what I have been thinking for some time let me first say that I am also in support of leaving non renewable stocks of animals alone.
    I am totally for the killing and eating of animals in controlled moderation because it is unrealistic to think it cannot happen but when we start talking about shark fins / whale blubber / giant tuna / rhino donga's or whatever else fetches a high price then not on.

But on the shark topic raised. I surf and I used to dive. I have had a few times when sharks have scared the shit out of me and that has made me think I would love to be in an ocean with no predators ( I have also had some amazing times times when sharks are so amazingly majestic that someone who has not been sitting on a rock ledge 20m down with a pair of freight trains swimming past just would not understand). But I agree that that is the risk we take. I don;t think they should be culled unless there is a rouge shark out there that is targeting people. Otherwise leave them be. The occasional accident is just that.

But my beef is with that *&%^ head Rodney Fox. He claims to be a shark hugging hippy yet he still puts people inside cages then chums for the sharks to get hungry and come have a look. He then tells us how smart the sharks are and they don;t want to harm us.
    To me I cannot possibly believe that by taking a smart animal and making their senses go wild with the thought of plentiful food only to find people inside a cage, will not ultimately make them start to associate people with hunger.

Anyway. Off topic but I am a bit sick of him cashing in (even though he has also done good I know).

But ultimately I am happy with the anti whaling decision. No issues at all with the native peoples of wherever eating them as a source of food. but the majority of us do not need too.