1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenslips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jon ward, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Well I got my greenslip in the mail yesterday, $589.09 :wtf: :mad:
    So I went on to that greenslip calculator website, (http://prices.maa.nsw.gov.au/index.html ) and it quoted me $440.
    Rang up NRMA and asked them if they could match it, they said no because my vehicle is too old, the best they could do was $497

Now, my gripe is that just because we drive older vehicles, why should we get punished?
    In NSW you have to have yearly inspections so therefore every car young or old complies to the same standard.
    So why the higher rate for older cars?

OK, I feel a little better :umm:

2. vinny

vinny Active Member

queendlanders have it too easy..
    one roadworthy then we just renew our rego every year without any inspections.

3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Too old, what a load of ..... Let me tell you from the other side of NRMA's 3rd party green slip insurance, they are a pack of *ssholes. Everything is a fight and requires solicitor intervention to get any action. It's now 5 1/2 yrs, still fighting to get things done, they don't deserve your business.

T1 Terry

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Yeah I will be ringing around.

5. dakbus

dakbus Member

AAMI $174.04 $336.11 132 244 On-line quote
    Allianz $268.00 $521.00 1300 137 664
    CIC-Allianz $263.00 $512.00 1300 360 340
    GIO $162.24 $312.80 131 010 On-line quote
    NRMA $173.53 $335.12 132 132 On-line quote
    QBE $197.00 $380.00 1300 791 874 On-line quote
    Zurich $267.00 $520.00 1800 811 099

I just used the calculator and it gave me the above results.
    I paid the NRMA $335.12 on 12/01/2010 for the CTP on Tigger
    I Paid the NRMA $378.70 0n 30/10/2009 for the CTP on the 73 Bus

Jon, do you speed, have you had an accident or do you have comprehensive insurance, these things may affect the pricing.
    BTW - I still owe you.
    Steve

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I have 2 to be paid here at the moment, both with NRMA and they are for $300.59 each, one is for the '67 splittie and the other for the '77 ute.

I think they are having a lend of you Jon :wtf: Could be an age thing, not the car but the person maybe?

7. Friedo

Friedo Member

Jon
    As I said over a beer - I'm with you. Regardless of age of vehicle and the fact that we are subject (in NSW) to yearly vehicle inspections, we are ALL subject to the same road rules.

Keep in touch, my rego is up on the same day as yours!!!!

Cheers,
    Mark

8. vwmad

vwmad New Member

Theres a mob down here called the green slip kings(4423 5666)they are cheap i use them every year????

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Well not all engineers are brain dead and out of touch. Some of us even belong to the KC and drive older vehicles.

10. greenbay

greenbay New Member

hahahaha,definately the person Lorraine:lol:

11. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Dragging this one back up.

Just got told by a friend that if you have a existing comprehensive insurance policy with Shannons, then they will give a greenslip. (not free BTW)

For example, me;
    NRMA $497
    QBE $491
    Shannons $391

How good is that! $100 off the lowest quote just because I have a existing policy with them!

Sensational work Shannons!!

12. $500 and something - even though its a motor-home. In the UK it would of course be tax-exempt - based on the fact you've paid a shed load of cash before.

3rd Party should NOT be bundled with the rego at all. It would introduce far more competition. It was introduced in a bygone era. They should add money for Terrigal Merc-D&C wearing blonde cougars IMO. They are the the biggest risk.

13. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

You got that right!

I thought they did bump up the premium for CTP & Rego if you had a 4WD

14. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Funny you should bring this one up - I rang Shannons today to get prices for Greenslips - as I have 2 that I need at the same time and they gave me good prices.

15. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Yep, from now on I will only be dealing with Shannons.
    Will even transfer the Rodeo insurance to them.

16. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

True story.

I saw some hippies broken down on the main street of camperdown the other day (Jackaroo, WA plates, they'd come all the way!). I stopped just to see if there was anything I could do, like lend a tool or give a lift of have a Kombi Cuppa.

Then, the giant shannon's truck that does car shows pulled over. The driver was a top bloke who was a untrained mechanic. Diagnosed a water pump issue in 2 seconds flat and I was able to put in a call to a bloke etc etc. A six pack in the avenue later they were on their way (to a campsite, with a view to getting the work done in Colac).

The hippies really dug on my Kombi, BTW.

17. chester

chester New Member

Have used Shannons for the last 2 Greenslips. Loads cheaper than cheapest quote. Others couldnt match it. But they [Shannons] dont advertise the fact much, pretty much kept in house for those with existing policies.
    Cheaper insurance gives Chester bargaining power for new surfboard!!!!

18. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Classic, props to Wes for pulling over in the first place!

19. tar76

tar76 New Member

I have 3 cars with shannon's and all the others can go jump. Better prices and way better service.

20. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread up to date...

It seems the RTA (NSW) is now insisting all greenslip insurers ask customers what the 'shape' code is on the rego papers - because mine says PVW (panel van windows) the premium for greenslip is way more! I have tried the MAA website, AAMI, Greenslip King and rung Shannons twice. They all say that they have to enter the 'shape' code on the rego papers. This is the stupid part - my bus is a microbus not a panel van, not that it makes a difference because they were all built exactly the same.

So the cheapest greenslip quote (Shannons) is $537.76. They won't budge on that because of the PVW code.

2 questions: what 'shape' code does your rego papers say for your Bay bus and for those above who last year got greenslip quotes for $400 or less, is your premium this year much higher?

Insurance is such a scam. Insurance is supposed to be based on risk. You pay a premium that supposedly reflects the risk (where you live - theft; where vehicle is parked - theft; your age & driving history - accident risk; etc, etc) but the reality is premiums fluctuate wildly. I have saved $100's in the past using the MAA calculator but now the insurer websites ask for the 'shape' code the premium jumps as high as $800 when PVW is entered. The microbus I just sold was registered for 8; this current bus is blank under 'seating capacity' - what tha'!! They are exactly the same - both 8 seat microbuses...

I won't even bother ringing the RTA because I know what the response will be.... Aaaarrgghhh! I hate government beauocracy and 'in the box' thinking that goes with it!