1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from NorCal

Discussion in 'New Members' started by NorCalRiviera, Jun 27, 2013.

1. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Hey everyone!

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Born and raised in Northern California, brought home from the hospital in a '67 Beetle, VW in the blood ever since. Got to visit parts of Australia 20 years ago and fell in love with the place. Later became more than a tad obsessed with 64-67 era Aussie buses with those sweet upper vents.

Currently driving a '67 Riviera camper that I've had for the past 10 years.

From many years back when I first did the logos:
    273462.jpg

From my first go at the Shasta Snow Trip:
    412765.jpg

From a later Shasta Snow Trip and after I repainted the bottom half:
    ec18fb4cce1e11e2ad8422000a1fa8e9_7.jpg

Even equipped it to haul the little lad around. Heck, he could say "bus" before he could say "daddy!"
    1c37b268c57e11e28f8322000a9f18ae_7.jpg

Some of the rust repair has included replacing the entire nose/dashboard with that from a '65 single cab. Here's the custom gauge cluster I built with a friend:
    d9688766cfe411e288bf22000a9f13cb_7.jpg

Currently, I am working on plans to build a roo bar (have always wanted one) and am toying with a wild idea to source some 67-era upper vents and do that conversion, too.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome!. Great photos.
    That gauge cluster should have had some Aussie beer cans around it, just for effect ;)

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Will you have to import Roo's into Cali? or do you have them already?

Nice bus btw. Have you got any more photos of the permanent attachment of the side ladder?
    Looks nice and practical.

4. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

That gauge cluster is so cool! Super nice bus man, I actually think I have seen a video on Youtube of it participating in the Shasta Snow Trip.

Ohh Also, welcome to the KC!

5. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Cheers, folks!

Yes, you've probably seen my bus in some Shasta videos. There are plenty that I have done at www.youtube.com/highwayn9ne. The gauge cluster was actually inspired by a mental early bus I saw last year at a local show. He had three gauges in vintage beer cans. I was so determined to do something like that (got his blessing, too) and wanted to find two Shasta soda cans, but wound up going with a Shasta soda and Olympia beer can. My Shasta co-pilot (who's also my go-to welder) fabbed up the design.

Roos in California? Probably in the zoos, but the nearest place I know that has roos on a farm-like setting is halfway across the country in South Dakota. I worked for a couple years at a store over here that imports and sells everything Australian (and is owned by an Aussie, rest assured). As for the roo bar, I'm likely going to sort out all the measurements for one and build it here. It's just going to be more cost effective.

Here's a shot of the bus from a show last weekend (complete with baby fencing):
    [​IMG]

The ladder isn't permanently attached, btw. It hangs in the rain gutter and then I typically use a bungee cord to secure it in place.

Here's a pretty decent shot from this year's Shasta trip:
    [​IMG]

And here's what a good-sized river rock will do to your bumper (and exhaust I later found out):
    [​IMG]

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Now I understand the Shasta cans around the guages! I had to google Shasta though - I had no idea it was a soft drink. :)

7. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Ha! Yeah, they're still around, but not really everywhere like the big ones are.

Honestly, I think my camper's Shasta phase was version 2.0. I've done the trip 4 years now and while it's an epic adventure, I think I'm ready for something new. Version 3.0 is definitely taking some cues from down under.

Here's an idea I photoshopped up at work during lunch one day:
    [​IMG]

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Not shot. are those rims photos shopped? I like them very much.
    Good to see an old bus being used and abused.

9. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Yeah, total photoshop job that. The rims, I think, are called Speedmaster. I can check in a couple hours.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

love the vids.
    done some high country snow stuff but think yours is a tad more extreeme :lol:

Do you guys attempt to have working heaters in the states. ?

could send over some aussie road kill to make you reminisce but dont think the good ol USofA accepts 'beef' imports from Aus.

welcome
    look foward to more crazy stuff

col

11. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Nah, not sure we accept that kinda beef. And yes, Shasta gets pretty extreme at times. I know of a couple guys who have rolled buses on the trip. My feelings at this point is that it's become a mix of veterans looking for a bigger thrill followed by newbies who are romanced by stories of the adventure. It's an odd mix, but I've made some close friends on this trip.

12. Type14

Type14 Member

Welcome to the forum....good to hear another California native on the forum. Im a new member myself, living in Australia but born and raised in Santa Cruz County. Looks like a great bus. I've been up shasta once myself when I was 14 years old. Had a great time coming down in the snow. Maybe we can work out a foreign trade agreement if you know what I mean!

13. NorCalRiviera

NorCalRiviera New Member

Hey! That's awesome, Type 14! I was born and raised in Santa Clara county. Currently over in Alameda county! I know some very good bus people in Santa Cruz, too.

I'm sure we can work out a better trade agreement than the politicians! :D