1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handbrake....!!!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Ian and Shelley, May 1, 2019.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hi again

Having trouble getting the Kombi to hold on the handbrake.
    Brakes all working good but handbrake will NOT hold on an incline,

At least it doesn't run away on the flat !!:)

I have correctly replaced brake shoes, brake springs and other bits and bobs.. Adjusted and readjusted and then readjusted to have minimal clearance, brakes will hold tight when adjusted up tight but will not work when 1 clicked OFF and handbrake applied.

Old brake shoes when removed showed wear at ONLY the top corners of each shoe?

What are most probable causes of this uneven wear? ---- Are the brakes poorly aligned or could the brake Drums be distorted?

I would assume this poor alignment is the reason for poor handbrake hold?

Any other handbrake tips most welcome ~

Thanks

Ian and Shelley !

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What you mean 1 click?:rolleyes:o_O
    To adjust the handbrake I have the rear of the car jacked up. After you have adjusted the rear drum brakes,Put you foot on the brake pedal to set the brake in there new position. you then should apply the handbrake on at least 5 -6 clicks.
    The adjusting nuts are under the front of your bus in front of the front beam,Adjust the two nuts evenly (i.e two turns on each nut) Adjust the cable until you can just turn the rear wheels by hand.
    Did you get new drums or get them remachined if within wear tolerance?
    Shoes do normally wear more at the top ends due to wear the wheel cylinders are pushing against shoes onto the drum.

David H, Mr Beckstar and tintop like this.
  3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian. you'll be able to tell if your drums are out of round while you are adjusting the brakes - if they catch more in some places than others as you turn the wheel. As per Wayne's post make sure the cables are adjusted evenly - or even them out if someone's got them uneven before...should all work out unless you've got stretchy cables. Patrick

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. Ian and Shelley

The 1 Click refers to the adjusting screw thing on the drums, if i tighten then right up to stop the wheels turning and then back off 1 click to free the rear wheels again

The H-brake comes on full with 6 clicks at the handle and the two nuts on cable have been adjusted accordingly...

I dont have new drums, is there a minimum wear tolerance I can measure?

Thanks

Ian

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Are the pads/drums contaminated with grease or oil or the like?
    Actually, I just read you’ve just replaced the pads. Give them a bit of time to bed in and they’ll be more effective. You’ll probably have to adjust the handbrake again after a bit of running.
    To be honest though, I find myself pulling the handbrake on really hard to get it to hold on a hill.

David H likes this.
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

There is a limit I can't remember what of hand.
    Have you had the rear of the car jacked up and spun the wheel with the handbrake on?

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Check leading edge champher on rear shoes & unglazed drums;). Plus above comments.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  8. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue on my '74 kombi, been putting off new rear drums, but made the investment and the handbrake now works a treat!
    The old drums were well worn. But all good now.

Steve

Wayne murray, David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

One suggestion back the handbrake adjusters off and make sure the cables are free, then adjust the brakes, give a couple of good stabs on the pedal , readjust them again and then adjust the handbrake cables. the cables are often holding the handbrake lever partly on and will give you a false adjustment, this will also wear the tops of the shoes because the shoes aren't sitting correctly in the drum. As Deeksy62 says if the drums are worn you are behind the 8 ball and may have to bite the bullet and get some new drums, but try the previous first.

oldman, Mordred, David H and 4 others like this.
  10. Ian and Shelley

Hi again

Thanks for all the advice...
    I reset the brakes star adjusters, stamped on the brake pedal and re-adjusted the shoes and fine tuned the shoe clearances then adjusted my re-adjustments and to be certain I adjusted everything one more time to get the same bloody result.......

Handbrake pulls up tight (6 clicks) but wont hold the Kombi on any incline..
    OK it keeps it stationary when on the flat so I mustn't moan:confused:

Today I took a closer look at the Handbrake mechanism behind the drum...

The lever that is pulled by the handbrake cable that then pushes the push bar thingy was coming into contact with the axle and so limiting the movement of the push bar..reducing the pressure exerted by the shoe onto the drum.
    Frustratingly the axle was stopping the hand brake JUST on 6 clicks, so all that adjustment was pure luck !!

I removed the push bar and noticed the notches that sits within the shoes looked well worn, so I grabbed the welder to fill the notch to reduce the notch depth from its worn 15 mm deep down to 10mm ( a wild guess)

The 10mm guess allowed the push bar to move the shoes and apply pressure onto the drum it worked a treat !

IT WORKS ...... THE HANDBRAKE WORKS!!!!

Happy Days!:)

whats next !

PUSHBAR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
  11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Got a photo of that?
    Nice to see you got it sorted;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Awesome. Well done :) and some good info here for others too :D

13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

As Les and others posted, CRITICAL to brake adjustment is to disconnect the handbrake first......adjust brakes and THEN deal with the handbrake.......lots of folks, including so called mechanics, adjust the stars thinking that’s all that has to be done....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Jethro and Mr Beckstar like this.