1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry - 1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Twin Carb Automatic

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Mr Beckstar, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of the oil pump cover. Seems a bit dodgy to me. Is it normal for it to be a flat piece of steel?

IMG_3292.jpg

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Have a look at the ETKA pdf that I posted and it lists up to chassis number xxxxx which is a '75. I think the ETKA may be wrong.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. Mr Beckstar

Yes, you're right syncro (as is 1500King), the '75 finish date for 311 115 411 (designated in ETKA by the chassis number) is why 021 115 411 is the correct piston :oops:.

I'm still not sure about the difference between "68" and "68: AUS" though. There are other parts that need an understanding of that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  4. farquire

farquire Active Member

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/MELLING-30mm-Cast-Iron-Oil-Pump-Type-4-Engines-p/melling-type-4.htm
    your oil pump is not a standard type 4 pump, standard have a alloy cover ,i'll throw my 2 cents worth in as i've had a similar problem,my sons 2 litre always ran well with cylinder head temp and oil temp always within acceptable limits ,ran Penn 20-50 in it all was good,had a oil leak from the oil pump and cracked the pump casing removing it,so replaced it with a 30mm melling pump with a gene berg relief pump cover,straight away i had oil temp problems at highway speeds 100kph,only differene to the motor was the oil pump,i've since dropped down to 5-30 oil and oil temps have come down,can not remember what my oil pressure readings were as this was a few years ago but they were high,maybe in the 60+psi range,also tried a thicker oil at one stage 20-60 temps were worse

oldman, Mr Beckstar and cbus like this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

From what I have been told by race engine builders, oil pump covers are critical. Have a look at the Bentley Section 5 page 27 fig 9-7.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Probably Australian emissions ADRs. Probably has nothing to do with oil or oil cooling systems.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

I’ve also had long discussions with 1500King and Boris at Vintage Veedub in the last couple of days. Cooking dinner at the moment so no time to go into it right now but some good suggestions

oldman and syncro like this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting …..even the Melling spec. says not to run 20-50…..
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to with that sized pump.;)

oldman likes this.
  10. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

cbus likes this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

Haven’t done anything more with it yet.

Amongst other things, Boris at Vintage Veedub suggested I check the camshaft timing to make sure it’s not a tooth out.

I’ve still got questions around the oil pump so need to take remove that and inspect.

I need to measure the oil pressure valve piston to bore clearance to make sure it’s not too sloppy.

To allow me to diagnose the root cause and come up with appropriate corrective actions, I’m thinking I’m going to cross section my spare crankcase. I’ll do that around the pressure relief valve with the goal to measure exactly what force is required to move the valve to different positions. I can then use that information to calculate oil pressure. Actually, I might be able to do that by removing a Welch plug on the spare crankcase. Anyway, I was going to calculate those positions, but I’d still be unsure after calculations as there are assumptions I’d have to make around leakage around the piston, effective piston area, etc which would be likely to introduce too much error.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I'm interested to hear how you get on. I have an issue with low hot oil pressure and its leading me down a path similar to your overheating issue. Do you know your oil pressure if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: don't worry i've gone back through and found that it was pretty good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. Mr Beckstar

Actually, I made an error above. Boris at Vintage Veedub actually asked me to check whether the camshaft was for solid lifters and not for hydraulic lifters. It’s a CB Performance #2199 which I double checked and can confirm it is the stock replacement cam for solid lifters.

14. Mr Beckstar

So in an effort to fully understand the operational philosophy of the Pressure Relief Valve, I’ve sectioned a case and run some tests. Unfortunately, the spring I was using has proven to be too soft. It’s only reading about 4kg at 39 mm whilst Bentley requires between 6.8 to 8.8 kg at 39 mm. I tried stretching the spring but it only made a temporary difference. I think the spring wire is worn where it slides in the bore thus giving the spring a lower spring rate (lower kg per mm travel). Anyway, here are some photos of what I’m up to.
    5EDEC68B-37ED-4087-B6FA-8EB6D34505A3.jpeg E474BD63-DCEB-4CD2-80FF-007C190E5C60.jpeg 43984964-385B-4D73-BBD8-64818201FFC7.jpeg 5B745404-18F9-4DE8-ADE6-103F1B91503E.jpeg

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It's very interesting what you are doing, but I'd be replacing that dodgy oil pump first.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. Mr Beckstar

I ordered a VW 24 mm type 4 reconditioned oil pump from the USA a couple of days ago :). When it arrives I’m going to give a full check over before installing.

David H and Barry like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t have expected anything else.

You are going to get an answer to this one day

18. Mr Beckstar

Here’s what is on its way (edit - removed for now whilst I sort out a warranty issue)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    KahunaKombi and syncro like this.
  19. Mr Beckstar

cbus likes this.
  20. Mr Beckstar

Pump arrived. Pictures speak for themselves. :mad:

What do you think?

220308 oil pump top.JPG 220308 oil pump diameter.JPG 220308 oil pump drive tang repair.JPG 220308 oil pump housing pitting.JPG 220308 oil pump internal pitting.JPG