1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone owned a type 3 ?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Ray, Jul 29, 2009.

1. greenbay

greenbay New Member

my first car was a squareback, about 27 years ago i think:eek: .i have just bought another to restore with number 2 son(melissa posted a pic)i even considered selling Dora(number 2 kombi currently undergoing a renewal)just so i had time to get into it.Ilove 'em:D .

2. Ray

Ray Member

Frodo looks good. PM sent.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  3. [​IMG]

I've got a 72 Fastback, its a stack of fun to drive and has practical vintage cool. Has decent brakes, IRS and all the bits you need, the heater even works.

4. Ray

Ray Member

Looks like a really nice fastback. I've seen a few good fastbacks, i think they are cool. Tried talking Sam into considering a fasty but he is still really keen on the square. Easy to though the surfboards in the back and with the seat down, looks like the ideal place for a nap after a long session in the surf.

5. groover

groover New Member

My favorite is the type 3 Notch back, something im considering as a long term project for my daughter.

6. Ray

Ray Member

Still looking!!!!

Isn't it amazing how fantasic a car can look in an internet photo/ebay. I found so many squareback type 3's and thought "this is the one" . I've driven hours away with a pocket full of cash and have returned home disappointed every time.

Well it's time to get serious again, my son Sam is threatening to take over the kombi if he doesn't get a Type 3 wagon soon! I have seen a couple a cars in Melbourne one in Melton and the other in Reservior.

I'm thinking of flying down for the day and having a look. First, thought I'd ask if anyone knows a VW mechanic in these areas that may be able to give me an honest opinion.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Ray

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good luck with the search.......

I've now got two friends asking me to find a Karmann Ghia for one, and a type 3 for another.... :rolleyes:

I'll just keep looking.

Although the Ghia may have been solved - one has been spotted outside a house with a For Sale sign in the window just 3 days ago....;)

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

:eek: Ray - the old story of a picture tells the story of a thousand words - like hell they do as you have found out and hope you do find one soon.

I know where there is a reasonable blue 73 Kombi for sale :D

9. martini olive

martini olive Member

my very first car was a 65 type 3 s/wagon.
    bought it in 1974 before i had a licence, but after failing my test twice decided to sell it.
    what a fool:umm: :cry:
    still remember the rego - JFF 026.
    finally got my licence and bought an EH for 500 bucks from the head gardener at como.
    down the track a bit and i bought a ripper 71 squareback from tiny town motors on the cnr of the nepean and north rd - many melbournites will know it.
    white with a red interior.
    it died some years later and i sold it too cheap ...
    what a fool:umm: :cry:
    then it was a 73 fastback - auto - that a guy was selling 'because i'm going overseas'.
    nothing but trouble that one, and i saw the bloke around town not too long after.
    then a green 72 squareback which was loyal and royal and took us everywhere, but passed it on when we had gulliver.
    no aircon, and vapour lock in heavy traffic was no fun for a new mum.
    which leads us to the present...........