1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Coronavirus caused a benefit to the environment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You are right Indonesia area ,are going to be in bad shape,time will only tell.

Debstar likes this.
  2. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

The only place on earth which is safe is North Korea as no one in there right mind visits this country i wonder if little rocket man is in lockdown North Korea news is very quiet now no rockets got to be good

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    TeeBee and KahunaKombi like this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I said before, that the decisive actions of the authorities are constantly running about 3 weeks too late. :(

As of Sunday, ALL people arriving home will now be in enforced isolation, rather than just voluntary isolation - if done 3 weeks ago, before the whole cruise ship disembarked in Sydney without any checks, we would have had a better chance here, of slowing the increase of cases.

And we seriously should all be in total lockdown already, UK or France style, but the authorities are still juggling the financial situation v health situation. We will all go into lockdown at some stage, which will cause the same financial burden, so why aren’t they doing it earlier? Same financial implication whether sooner or later, but a much better health chance, if done earlier than later. o_O

Having been involved in the shocker of a fire season, I observed that people and authorities, fall into 3 categories when facing a possible crisis.

1. Complacency - Denial of the situation, and doing very little about it, thinking it will not actually affect them.

2. Competence - Planning, and trying to put effective contingency plans into place early.

3. Chaotic - Over reacting, and panic, as the situation suddenly becomes obvious, which never ends well.

If option 1 is chosen, the result then bypasses option 2, and goes straight to option 3. Case in point, the US current situation. :eek:

Maybe this is just natures way of saying to the human population, enough is enough, you didn’t listen, so this is the result? :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents worth, and personal observation of what’s going on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    oldman, Ninga, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Natural pattern for a population that isn't contained by a natural balance due to lack of food , space, predation is to shit itself out of existence, turn on itself, succumb to disease.

This won't change much as the death toll from the virus will be more than compensated for by less deaths that would have occured from breathing polluted air.

And no chance we will learn anything.

A foretaste of the economic chaos that will occur within the next 20 years from global warming.

Ninga and TeeBee like this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

If the government locked down when they brought people back from Wuhan China and every person that entered the country went into compulsory quarantine like in Darwin,we wouldn't have anywhere near the trouble we are in know and in the future. The country might of been able to operate normal and only the Australian citizens travelling that are coming from overseas have to be quarantine for a minimum 14 day period.

TeeBee likes this.
  6. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

lets see if China is the first to have a vaccine seeing they basically caused it may be it was created to benefit there master plan . one thing that troubles me it will take years to vaccinate all in the world so at the end of the day with regarding this post question i think China will only benefit

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

& buy the rest of the world cheaply:(.
    Damn glad I'm not young:mad:.
    & what will China then do to the environment?
    They did come off the one child policy years ago as they got more money.
    How many can a sustainable world contain?
    Not Cheers

Debstar likes this.
  8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

And the lockdown babies.

Debstar likes this.
  9. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

No real benefit to the environment yet. If it knocks out 5-6 billion out of the equation it will be very beneficial.

10. Grantus

Here’s another musing, that I want to put out there...........:rolleyes:

I see a big push to get the flu shot, sooner rather than later this year, coz if you have the flu, and then get the current COVID virus, it will obviously complicate matters.

But each flu season we have had, was when there were 1 million + people on planes, travelling around the globe at any minute of the day, spreading the flu virus globally.

With 90% of aircraft now parked up, and our borders almost closed to travellers............. will we have a reduced, or even, no flu season this winter?

Or is the push for early flu shots, just in preparation for an increased uncontrolled spread of COVID? o_O

Luckyphil likes this.
  11. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I have often wondered that myself Grant.

but the big concern is it’s almost impossible to discern the early stages of the flu from COVID-19 perhaps the push is to reduce the in incidence of the flu to ease up testing or medical assistance.

we should on a whole see a reduction in most communicable diseases over the lockdown period. Probably followed by a spike as we start to mingle again.

12. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

China isn't well known for actually creating from scratch, they are into copying with an ever so slight improvement and calling it their design.
    I think this will be a wake up call to the major economies that globalisation can backfire rather seriously if we become dependent on foreign manufacturing and don't support the local manufacturers. Cost efficiencies aren't everything and this will put the accountants back where they belong, advising rather than running the show.
    Now all the old design manufacturing has shut up shop and sold off their out dated machinery, maybe manufacturing will start up again using the latest equipment designed locally to suit the local market. We may be only a small market, but equipment designed to optimise small product runs with a quick turn around to make a different product would keep a small manufacturing plant busy and resellers will learn to carry stock again rather than relying on ordering it and having it delivered the next day.

I just hope the world learns to no longer be dependant on Chinese manufacturing, be willing to pay a bit more to keep the local business going so the shelves don't end up empty because China has stopped making stuff.

T1 Terry

ttmck, oldman and KahunaKombi like this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you T1 Terry ..... my brother and a few mates would also ;)
    Our manufacturing industries put out quality products :D ...... not afraid to say that quality from other country(ies) leave a lot to be desired ..... other countries in the same situation as we are :oops:

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

15. T1 Terry

When it comes to the liquidators getting their hands on anything, they will simply squeeze out any money that can be found for themselves and everyone else can go whistle. Better off letting the company go down with zero $$ in the bank and owing everyone money, zero assets and no employees, then the liquidators won't want to get their claws into it and it will just be declared belly up.
    Only thing lower than used car salesmen, politicians and drug dealers are liquidators, even hell doesn't want them so they do all they can to stop people from killing them off early ......

T1 Terry

KahunaKombi likes this.
  16. KahunaKombi

Agree again Terry ...... staff entitlements will be picked up by the tax payer/Government ..... which I expect is a cheaper option for the Government than the $1.4b bail out touted.

17. Grantus

Like the actual reported cases and impacts, it will be slow to show the true reported picture.

But as each aircraft gets parked up, each empty street of cars around the planet, each factory shuts down for a while, along with the coal fired power plants to supply the electricity to those factory’s.......... the reduced emissions will indeed make some positive impact, as opposed to when it was all up and running as usual.

18. KahunaKombi

Toilet paper manufacture has had to increase ..... dos this mean more trees have had to be cut down :rolleyes:

19. T1 Terry

Maybe we will learn how the 2 shells system works ..... can't remember what Stallone movie it was but someone here will remember it
    Maybe everyone will have to get a bidet, just avoid the models with the ATR facility :lol:

T1 Terry

20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Not sure about other areas.....but around here, folks are really recognising the value of being nice to each other.....
    Once the norm, this mindset seems to have been lost in the frenetic pace that society has enabled over the years....
    Families are walking the neighbourhood spotting teddys in windows.....a wonderful initiative...and maintaining social distancing appropriately......the elderly in our street are checked on regularly and it seems that a wonderful sense of community has returned.......
    I really hope that this situation has folks recognising that the simple, cheap courtesies are really rewarding.
    I’m impressed......and really hope that this situation re-sets some people’s way of thinking, permanently.
    Cheers,
    Mark

TeeBee, David H and cbus like this.