1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat exchanger problems

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Buggergary, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Buggergary

Buggergary Active Member

Hi all fitting the heat exchangers yesterday I had one that was tight to fit so once I got it started on the studs I lightly tapped the mounting boss with a hammer and drift to seat it onto the head.
    Once it bottomed out I then realized that the boss had come away from the manifold pipe.
    Has anyone had this problem before?
    They look pretty good for an old bus so I reckon they are repo ones.
    It looks like they are bronzed onto the manifold to me or it could be silver solder can anyone confirm this for me so I can get them rewelded back on.
    90962307_2506745552971922_558496055155490816_n (Custom).jpg heat exchanger (Small).jpg
    The weld looks very poorly done so i have cleaned up the metal and sat them back on the head and marked with a paint pen where they sit and braced them with some flat bar to keep them flat and in the right position so when I try to weld them they won't move.
    Gary

David H likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Just showing where the flex is/needs to be! & crap adhesion:(. Your approach seems like you'll get 'good' adhesion!

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

put the whole thing in place, bolt it up, then make horizontally and vertically markings with a scribe
    Remove it, line everything up on your marks and braze into place (need an oxy torch and coated brazing rods)
    or take it to someone who can

4. Buggergary

Buggergary Active Member

I have done a little bit of brazing over the years and have the tools where I work Just have to sneak it in on night shift and give it a go with the guidance from the fitters.
    Our engineering department are good about us using or borrowing tools .
    Just got to find the time as we are very busy at work at the moment plus with restrictions on adds to the problem.

5. Buggergary

Buggergary Active Member

Thought i better update this post I got a chance to braze the heat exchanger on night shift this weekend.
    It may be a bit over done in the bronze department but it looks like it will do the job :)
    I have installed it on the engine now so hopefully it will work well once I get it back on the road.
    DSC03413 (Custom).jpeg DSC03414 (Custom).jpeg

David H likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of overkill if it saves doing the job twice ;)

Buggergary likes this.