1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater duct flap

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Burnstar, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I'm trying to sort out the poor heating in my kombi, all the connections are there, the heater lever on the dash doesn't go all the way down (it only goes halfway) so I got under the bus today with the aim of adjusting the cable but after looking at where the cable links to the flap arm it seems that it's not a simple cable adjustment that I need.

The arm that is connected to the flap looks like it not at a 90 degree angle to the cable, it's more like at 60 degrees meaning that the cable can only pull the arm so much before it then becomes too hard as there is not enough leverage left.

Is there a way for me to fix this arm so that it is more at 90 degrees angle to the cable which would then give the cable more movement?

Below is the position of the arm with the heater lever in the 'off' position, as you can see when pulling the heater lever there is no much rotation that is going to happen.

[​IMG]

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

its been a while since i played with mine but seem to recal a similar problem.

I think i found i had the cable too tight so the flap wasnt closeing all the way when the lever was up.

3. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I ended up removing it to get a better understanding and managed to stick a screwdriver inside and do some bending, the outside arm now goes back further and allows the lever to go down more, the flip side is the cable is now at the extreme end of the adjustment but it should be good enough for now.

The inside of the flap has got some pretty serious holes in it but lucky its on the side that vents out so whilstt I'll lose some heat it won't be an issue of always having warm air come through in summer.

[​IMG]

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

does look a bit holey :eek:

It is amazing how much more efficient the heating system is in the summer time :D

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

holes = rusted out on that fin

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Burnstar likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But then I find the now working cool fresh air vents, play up in summer....;)