1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from the Gold Coast

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Surfing72, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

Sure thing, not this weekend maybe next Saturday for a surf? Anyone keen? Cars n Coffee after a surf, what could be better!

2. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

I'll be back from Scotts Head on Friday 03/07/2020 and still have another week off work so I'm keen.;)

Subdub67 and DrowningBitByBit like this.
  3. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

Sounds good to me!

Surfing72 likes this.
  4. Surfing72

Wagawn Street Tugun or beach break Currumbin??If we hit a point it will be too busy and we'll only drift away from each other but Im easy.

5. DrowningBitByBit

Totally with you on skipping the points on a Saturday morning! Wagawn St suits me - I've seen your van there once or twice while walking the dog, but you must've been out in the water at the time.

Surfing72 likes this.
  6. Subdub67

So catch up this Saturday? Would need to be fairly early for me as I work, after 9.00am. Let us know a time and will try to make it! All Gold Coast Kombi’s welcome, if you surf, even better!

Surfing72 and David H like this.
  7. Surfing72

6:15am Saturday 04/07/2020 Wagawn Street Tugun for a surf - weather permitting? 1 hr or so in the water then a coffee at a local cafe. Thoughts gentlemen??

8. Subdub67

Count me in mate, my number is 0417 438 918 if plans change

9. DrowningBitByBit

Crikey, haven't seen 6.15am on a Saturday for a while, but I'll be there!
    Surf prospects looking a bit dire though!

Surfing72 likes this.
  10. Surfing72

I'm, happy to make it later if the surf forecast is rubbish?? Just need enough time for Subdub67 to get back home for work at 9. Maybe check this page Friday night for last minute changes. On a side note, my boy and I have been getting cracking longboard waves every morning out the point at Scotts Head:)Cheers Dan
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.16.38 pm.jpeg

milly, DrowningBitByBit and oldman like this.
  11. Surfing72

OK so the surf forecast says its dead flat as far as I can see on Saturday. Probably a waste of time getting down the beach at 6:15am. Don't get me wrong Ill surf if there is a ripple and happy to take the gamble but........

Any thoughts on alternative meeting points / time / date etc.. Would be good to grab a photo of our Kombis together. I have another fella (Scott) coming with his splitty as well.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.18.12 pm.jpeg

12. DrowningBitByBit

Yeah, I'm happy to surf any old rubbish (kinda prefer that at the weekend to minimise the crowds) but the surf is definitely on its last legs!

Agreed that the dawn session is probably a bit of a waste of time on Saturday - happy to meet up a bit later or postpone a week.

13. Subdub67

Hey Guys, Sunday Anytime is ok for me as an option but we can do it the following week, I will bring my work gear with me if it’s a Saturday. Ps surfed today and yesterday got some good ones. Thanks Jon

14. Surfing72

OK lets cancel this Saturday and we'll do next weekend if the surf forecast improves. Would be better to have a surf together and talk crap about Kombis etc over a coffee. In saying that, Ill be somewhere around the beach so shout out if you see me. Cheers Dan

15. DrowningBitByBit

All good with me. :cool:

Surfing72 likes this.
  16. Surfing72

Unless you're very brave and have deep pockets, don't lift your pop top:( She's off for rust repairs on Monday
    IMG_1713.jpeg

milly, DrowningBitByBit and David H like this.
  17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Oooh:(! That's not too bad actually;). And whilst the roof is off cut the horizontal bits off the pop top roof base. The bits that sit in the gutter.
    Helps the gutter area breathe:).
    There is a real pattern as to how the roof rusts under a Sopru roof .....@rstucke & there must be a reason. Stainless screws on the corners??
    Got a photo of the damage to the front @Surfing72 ? What year/month of manufacture Dan?
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Surfing72 likes this.
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just be very careful if you are going to do this......
    The horizontal leg of the base is what bears most of the pressure of the pop top along the sides.
    It you rely solely on the fixings and without the horizontal, there will be an awful lot of shear/load on them that could result in holes being torn/shook through the fibreglass .
    Just be careful.....once it’s cut off, you won’t get it back easily.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus, Surfing72 and Barry like this.
  19. Surfing72

Good advice gentlemen and something to consider.;)

20. Surfing72

Finally caught up with @Subdub67 & @DrowningBitByBit for a surf this morning. Had to get a lift with another mate Alex in his Kombi as our old girl is still having roof surgery LOL. Good blokes and great waves.
    IMG_1798.jpeg IMG_1796.jpeg

SunnyJim, milly, Jethro and 3 others like this.