1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chris Ramsden, May 14, 2020.

?

Panels sort

1. Purchase of Tray panels in Sydney area

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Purchase of tray hatch & hatch surround

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

This is really interesting conversation. :)

Chris Ramsden likes this.
  2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Possibly - maybe the importer decided 4 doors would be better - sensible decision.

But the first few direct imports were 3 door ( I have seen 3 only in my travels to VW shows in NSW and Vic)

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I thought any DC pre 1990, were only private imports from the UK or South Africa, and all the ones sold through VW dealers were 4 door models.

Luckyphil likes this.
  4. Grantus

Slightly off topic, but a good friend is importing a 1999 RHD BMW convertible, from France later this year. Australia’s Border Force has required him to take 34 different samples from dash board insulation to brake discs, to send to a lab in the UK to be tested for asbestos, before they’ll allow the vehicle into Australia. :eek:

Even though BMW can attest that there was no asbestos used in the manufacture of that particular model BMW. The Border Force argument is that they don’t know what’s been done to the vehicle since new.... :confused: (Isn’t the first thing you do to a second hand car, is fill it with asbestos insulation and repaint it with a lead based paint?)

After a fair amount of time and expense, they have completed all the tests, and he now has a certificate to state the car contains no asbestos in any of the components.

If only Border Force was as strict with cruise ship arrivals, as they are with this car, things would have worked out differently this year. o_O

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Grantus
    To be fair - I reckon a fair few of the “imported” braked pads would be chocka.

a lot of the imported facade panels in construction were found to still have it

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

See no one has polled a vote :rolleyes: ..... including me.

To see if you can buy the pick up load bed repair panel in Sydney (or Australia) best to give Vintage Vee Dub Supplies a call in Campsie or Just Kampers Australia (ask to speak to Kai who is a member on here). Mick Motors in Northgate (Brisbane) Qld may be a possibility also.

Disappointment that these 3 won't have then just go with the Heritage Parts offer - check freight cost 1st though. Alternate solution is do what a lot do and a checker plate repair :confused:

If the cross member is rusted out then as (I think) it is a U channel you could possibly weld some square tube in ;)

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Probably the ones I have seen at shows - which the Owners didn't mention private imports when I noted the 3 door version.

8. Chris Ramsden

Chris Ramsden New Member

The dealers stick on my back window is "New Line Automotive" 96511411

Attached Files:

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I take it that was out Dural way! Is that the dealer sticker or a mechanics sticker? How long has 9 been in phone numbers?o_O:rolleyes:

10. Grantus

Wayne is correct. New Line Automotive are a mechanical repair and servicing business, not VW dealers.

11. Chris Ramsden

Chris Ramsden New Member

Thanks KahunaKombi, This is a great start I also found Brickwerks in the UK for DC SC tray panels part prices are reasonably shipping is probable a killer.

I will start my search here in Australia first & yes your right the cross member is a U channel & my plan is to replace it with square hollow section as you suggest.

I don't want to go down the checker plate panel rout I want to keep it totally original.

Thanks again for this info its a great start for me.
    Cheers ChrisR

12. Chris Ramsden

Chris Ramsden New Member

Your right Wayne it was about the mid 90's before 9 appeared in front of Sydney landline numbers.

13. Chris Ramsden

Chris Ramsden New Member

Yes your right Wayne a bit early for the 9 in front of the land line number, nice detective work. ;)
    I'll have to go through all the paper work I have with the car. :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  14. mrfj55

mrfj55 New Member

Hi Chris,
    How you doing mate.
    I didn’t know you were a kombi guy.
    See you round the neighbourhood brother.
    Say a big hello to Naz for us.

All the best,
    Maurice & Kate.
    p.s
    I hope the new house is going well.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  15. Chris Ramsden

Chris Ramsden New Member

Hi Maurice,

Yes, I've alway had a soft spot for the DakDak's I guess it all started with my parents owning a 1956 or 57 Beetle it had the pop out side indicators. :)

My first Kombi I owned I brought when I was 16 before I had a drivers license & got my L's in it at Hornsby RTA where Suttons Holden stood opposite the Blue Gum Hotel in Waitara.

The House Mmmmmmm should be out of Council this week... 11 months not happy Jan..

Cheers Chris R

Last edited: May 19, 2020