1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ENGINE REBUILD WORTH IT?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 1968 Yellow Bay Kombi, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 1968 Yellow Bay Kombi

1968 Yellow Bay Kombi New Member

Hey Guys i have been told by my mechanic that my 1968 1.6l kombi engine appears to have had it as it is spitting out heavy amounts of oil and will need a rebuild. As it it running fine it may not all have to be rebuild but he said its looking like anywhere from $3000 to $5600 max to get it all sorted.

As i do not know much about motors, let alone the fact that it was running so bad and leaking so much, i thought i would get your advice on if this is a good price and option. Or should i be looking at buying a good one and getting it fitted? Also is it worth to take it to Sydney to get a second opinion on if its actually broken.

When i bought it i was only 16, and didnt know much about cars and so the seller assured me he had pulled t apart and fixed the engine up and it was only on 100,000kms. (That was obviously a lie now 40,000kms on)

I am in Illawara NSW and we only have one Kombi mechanic here - Wayne Penroes.

Let me know what you guys think on are my best options! I am only a student so trying to save as much as possible.

Thanks!

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC .....
    Personally, I’d be getting a second opinion.
    I personally recommend Mike at Custom Bugs and Buses, Penrith.
    Mike has rebuilt my engine, gearbox and carbs.
    Result has been phenomenal.....this was all done about 9 years ago now and I’ve never had an issue with any of his work.
    Well worth giving him a call.
    Good luck, whichever way you go.....
    (Wow, a student with a kombi.....you are going to be broke for a VERY long time ! :D)
    Enjoy the ride :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    grumble, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Wayne knows his vw engines. His brother Rod in the Gong is pretty good too.
    Pity they don't get on with each other

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Rod only sells parts these days

If those quotes prices are from Wayne and are drive in / out they will be high but will be for good work.

Do you NEED your van?
    Can you afford to have it off the road for a while?
    Interested in learning to do work yourself?
    Do you have space to do it yourself?

Trouble is these days is a half decent 2nd hand 1600 will cost a couple of grand plus fitting

oldman likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

You're not the only to face this question :rolleyes:
    Some have sought advice on here then gone and done their own thing :eek: only to have to go back to square 1 once again :confused: ..... even imported engines have caused grief :(
    Cost is always dependant on what has to be done - if case has to be split then cost will go up ...... condition of crank and cam + bearings all cost for parts and labour ...... labour will be the major part of any rebuild :oops:
    Get any quote in writing and what warranty you'll get ...... any parts requiring replacement you want to see or have returned to confirm it/they were just in case ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    cbus and grumble like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi 1968 yellow bay kombi,
    Welcome & you be destined to be poor forever as a student & Kombi owner:p. The Penrose boys will steer your bus in the right direction & keep it motoring well but...........
    I go with Oldmans suggestion for a second opinion "I personally recommend Mike at Custom Bugs and Buses, Penrith."
    I'd just check with them;).
    Cheers

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

oldman likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Money thrown at a Kombi is an investment. Money thrown at a modern is a depreciation.
    Go with a second opinion.
    Suggest keeping it stock if its a daily driver.

oldman and David H like this.
  9. 1968 Yellow Bay Kombi

1968 Yellow Bay Kombi New Member

Hey everyone thanks for the tips! Really appreciate all your replies. Especially the Penroes feedback and the buying another one + fitting view.

From all of that, I am going to ask for a second opinion i believe. I trust Wayne but would not hurt to get another view.

I am not to sure about doing it myself as i don't really have engine cranks and all the parts plus like one of you said i feel getting another one / doing it myself may not work out. I have learnt how to weld and have been fixing up rust in her so that keeps me busy during my spare time haha.

But yes forever poor university student but ill keep her going with a proper rebuild i think now. Thank you all for your time!

Also, everyone keeps saying to me to sell it (the non kombi owners) but i struggle to part with her haha. Had her for quite some time now.

Thanks!

David H likes this.