1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify these bits please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Oct 9, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Following on. It's definitely not Chinese;). Do you know where it's from cbus? P1110602.JPG
    By dissy I reckon the box paid for itself:p:D.
    New points;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A 009 ? Sweet $&*# all in my opinion.....non vac advanced units in engines that require vac advance are the source of poor performance and tuning issues......but I’m sure someone might be able to use it to get them out of trouble....;)....but as you ask....currently $35 US
    https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-0-231-178-009
    The other dizzy ? Never seen anything with a drive that long on a kombi but happy to be educated otherwise....put up the number and I will try to trace it.....the pic is just a bit too blurry to make out all the numbers....
    Collusion...? o_O Heaven forbid others are thinking along the same lines as me :p
    As you are a heavy user of emoticons, I would suggest that you read the tenor of posts and not just assume that the comments are intended to wind you up......;)
    If you are happy with your purchase, that’s all that really matters.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I will echo Mark again ..:eek:
    Don't take comments as intending to wind you up.
    Some comments just follow a normal progression as if in a normal discussion and are simply throw away lines.

As for ID on the 009.
    If German I would expect such stamped or more likely cast on the base of the dissy.
    Otherwise it could be Brazilian .
    I assume Mexico is another genuine VW option.
    Not sure of identifying marks for either but often parts are cast with origin

4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

The 009 distributors are great for LPG fuelled VW engines because the advance curve is much easier to adjust to suit the fast LPG burn rate. If I wasn't about to change my set up to full electric drive I might have been interested in it, but no idea if they fit the 1800 motor.

T1 Terry

David H and oldman like this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I use them for lpg as well for same reason.
    Vac not needed due to limiting top end at revs.
    Regraphing they work fine but limited use on petrol engines.
    Will fit all type 4.

Have you found a source for springs ?

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That's why I've got it. It's 100% better than the one I didn't have under my back seat:).
    Cheers

oldman likes this.
  7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Just bend the advance limiting tabs and spring locator tabs to get the 12* additional advance by 2200rpm. Static timing is 12* so total advance by 2200 should be 24* and no more after that. Yeah, they don't run very happy of petrol at that but it is enough to either defrost the converter or get to the next servo when you run out of gas. Not so bad in summer, but in winter on the freeway at the 110km/h plus, the converter starts to freeze up so it needs to go back to petrol for 10 kms to defrost. The difference between LPG and petrol is huge, hate having to switch back to petrol on a hill, the performance drops by at least half a gear, but it does lug still in the lower rpm like the LPG does, just not as far down the rpm range. The aim is to get into a higher gear as soon as possible when on petrol but let it rev like there's no tomorrow when on LPG :lol: With the 2 ltr gearbox and diff ratio the electric drive in 4th will probably only be for flat roads with a tail wind.

T1 Terry