1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed

Discussion in 'SA' started by mark and pauline, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mark and pauline

mark and pauline New Member

hi i hav a 73 kombi with a flat motor with duel carbs whant to change to singel carb how do i do this and can i thanks mark

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Ou of curiosity, why do you want to change?
    I think most agree that it is generally better to stick with a dual carb system.

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Not sure that most say stay with dual, though if I had them I probably would. I had an engine being built by Stan Pobjoy at one stage and I wanted dual carbs. His advice was that on the particular motor to stay with the single just get it jetted correctly. BTW it worked extremely well.

My second effort was I decided to go to dual carbs from FI on the '82. Again Stan's advice was to stay with the FI. So I have.

Ian

4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I don't know of any kits available to fit a single carby to a type 2/4 engine but there maybe some about. The effects running on petrol would be a slight loss of performance especially throttle response, a pig in cold weather and start up/drive when cold but a torque improvement at wide open throttle. On LPG there will be none of the losses and a definite torque improvement. It is the long runners on a fuel injection system that give the better torque and by adding the fuel at the valve a lot of the cold run and throttle response issues are solved. A lot of the LPG installers fit the fuel injection manifold for this reason, others do it because it's easier to get a single mixer point and never realise the true advantages.

T1 Terry

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I think you can get a single webber with manifolds and all the kit to convert your dual carbs to a single. Classic VW sydney has them. That kit should go OK?

6. mark and pauline

singel carbs

thanks all yhe just whant to try and cut down on fuel cost shes a bit thirsty thats y ill try a singel carb

7. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

I've heard that single carbs on a type IV freeze over?

Also a single Weber would be worse for petrol.

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I've had carbs on a standard engine freeze. Once was on a 1200 where the heat riser pipe had become clogged and the other was a Holley Bug Spray that did not have the heater pipe. Get the right conditions and no heat near the carby and yes you can get ice form in the throat. Took me ages to find out what it was. An old guy pointed me in the right direction as I had the vehicle tuned, dyno tuned etc but every now and then when cruising it would come to a stop. Sit for a few minutes and all was OK and may not happen again for a long time. Cleaned out the heat riser pipe and it never happened again.

I removed the Bug Spray after the law in SA told me it was illegal unless I had it certified. That was back in 1977.

Ian

9. Kombipete

Kombipete Member

no heat riser on type 4.

the long manifolds (from single carb to heads) ice up as they get minimal heat

10. mark and pauline

no worries every one thanks for your help might just stick to duel carbs

11. mark and pauline

well hi all i made a singel carby manifald and i am running a holden strong berg carby seems to run ok more power lol but it is for sale