1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with battery size and type

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Josht3, Jul 9, 2019.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Yes batteries can explode - it’s just not very likely and there is a culmination of circumstances that lead to it. As in almost every disaster there is a number of things that need to go wrong to cause the problem.

Interestingly in that thread from a quick read through it seems that all the explosions were just after starting and they had been using a battery trickle charger on a vehicle that was not regularly used Which would have been continuously liberating gas from the acid in a closed environment.

David H and oldman like this.
  2. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi again rstucke, I think you have totally lost the plot.

At no time did I state or imply that Wet Cell batteries could not/would not explode.

I responded to your mythical claim, to quote you “But if it’s not agm make sure of ventilation as they ( Wet Cell batteries ) gas more”

ALL batteries gas and ALL batteries, if placed in a small enclosure, like a cupboard or the likes, must be vented.

When a battery is located in an OPEN area, like an engine bay or in the cabin, regardless of whether it is a Wet Cell or AGM, no venting is needed.

So get your facts straight because it’s erroneous statements like yours above, that get people harmed.

In the 40+ years I have been working in the RV electrical field, I have seen reports of enough battery explosions to know that the most common are caused by people who have no idea what the are doing and fit “supposedly safe” AGMs in cupboards or unvented battery compartments and the SAFE AGMs have exploded.

Again, neither battery type is going to be safer or more dangerous for what Josh is planning to do.

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Mate, you seem a little stressed, I tried not to offend, sorry

Anyway I've got an 8 page pdf that goes into explaining different types of leisure batteries.
    interestingly it notes that lead acid batteries should be vented outside either by the design of the tubes coming from the batteries or by ventilated enclosures.
    Anyone who wants a copy (it's a good read) can pm me with an email because I haven't been able to post it here.

I'm done

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    tintop likes this.
  4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

For my two cents worth.
    You have both proven yourselves to be knowledgeable at different times. And i have benefited from your advice.
    Dare say at Busstop 2020 you will get along famously and enjoy a beer together.
    ;)
    Just saying...

micklyan, tintop, David H and 3 others like this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice way to finish up the divergent opinions/positions available on this forum;). Can I partake of that beer? I'll bring my own & some for you 2 also! I'd love to sit & just chat with both over a beer. Both members very knowledgeable:) & we all get the benefit:D.
    Cheers Kombi Club.

micklyan and tintop like this.
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

T3 batteries live in an unventilated cupboard under the driver's seat. Beetle and type 3 batteries live in an unventilated cupboard under the back seat.

I have seen many lead acid batteries explode out of the tens of thousands of batteries I have worked with, which would represent about about 0.001%. So it is not common. They do not catch fire or cause physical damage to anything else. The only problem is the acid leakage damaging paint and causing corrosion.

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sitting kerbside, in Maitland in 74, we spy a VW beetle at the traffic lights that's smokey in the back:oops:. I walk over & ask the driver to vacate. Flip drivers seat forward, access rear seat that was smoking & remove rear seat (not locked down with the 2 screws so may have been why it sat lower) as the seat base was bridging across both battery terminals & horse hair was alight:(. Put fire out...send owner home:D. Probably ended well because it was 6v:p!
    Cheers

tintop, TeeBee and micklyan like this.
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's a common one. People too lazy to put the cover on the battery.

The rear seat does not have screws to hold it down.

David H and oldman like this.
  9. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Josh, what did you finally end up doing?