1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitation/Cutting out Under load

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Timc91, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Timc91

Timc91 Member

Hi Guys,
    Had an issue where my 1600 singl carb has been hesitating and stopped idling. We’ve cleaned the jet and blown the carb body out. All was good, Kombi ran great again. Until I hit circa 50mph or put the foot down when I hit a bit of a gradient.

I managed to avoid this by very delicately driving from straddie down to murwillumbah in the northern rivers . How ever I’m off for two weeks on Jan 5 so want this sorted :) and my usual mechanic in Brisbane is closed.

So does anyone recommend a mechanic down this way that would be open between now and then. Or, can offer their services in the beer economy. I have the Bentley service Manual but I’m not really too sure/ confident where to start?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
    Cheers,
    Tim

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Tim
    What does the fuel filter look like?

Sounds fuel related.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Cylindrical Barry:p unless F/I!
    Try to see what reaction you get 'when it starves' by pumping the throttle. Will give some knowledge;).
    Cheers

Barry and Timc91 like this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Possibles .
    Lean mix, plug breaking downunder load or a cylinder not firing, timing out.

Check points gap, timing.
    Pull one lead at a time to check all cyl same power drop.
    Check Spark plugs for missfire or lean running.
    Running hot ?
    Fuel filter

Check dissy is advancing.
    Check Idle screw in body of carb ,ensure the rubber o ring is in place.

Timc91 likes this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yep sounds like fuel starvation (now). considering you recently had trouble with your idling circuit you could have blown your obstruction from the idling circuit to the main circuit
    ...considering that you are writing here I assume you aren't keen on taking the carby apart, so, if not, with a cold engine (so you don't drop petrol on a hot engine) just unscrew the main jet plug (catch the petrol if you can) and pilot jet (idling circuit) and blow through again...a bit of vacuum hose is good for this
    ...you could also take off the air filter and blow in from the top (if you know where your air jets are)...carby cleaner is good in a pressure can to do all this too (not too much - it can eat away at o rings but if you get the petrol flowing again soon it should be fine)

Timc91 and cbus like this.
  6. Timc91

Timc91 Member

CBus,
    Plugs were done a month ago in a service so haven’t checked them yet,

My first thought was filter when it happened 2 weeks ago but there wasn’t a lot of shit in it. I’ll check again and just swap out regardless.

I don’t think I’m running hot. Can hold onto dipstick for ages after running for say an hour?

TinTop,
    I like that idea too, I’ll give that a crack pulling all those jets out and the air filter.

Cheers guys

7. Timc91

Timc91 Member

From memory it made it worse to the point I had to pull over and go again, not to keen in doing it again with roads with not much shoulder haha.

David H likes this.
  8. Timc91

Timc91 Member

All sorted guys. Blockage in the saddle where the fuel enters the carby :)