1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everybody from adelaide

Discussion in 'New Members' started by roycebus, Jun 13, 2014.

1. roycebus

roycebus New Member

Hi all I'm fixing up a 69 lowlight camper for my 15 year old son.I have no knowledge about kombis but was an aircraft mechanic by trade so don't mind using spanners. Thanks in advance for all your helpful knowledge

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Hi roycebus, there seems to be a few members from your way join up lately :)

welcome to the club...you will find most of us a friendly bunch and willing to help out in any way possible.

A 69 low light you say.....is it a tin top or poptop?

Does it need much work doing to it?

If so where are the areas of concern?

Try and navigate your way around this forum to find what to look for (common problem areas ) and if parts are readily available ie I think a steering box is hard to find. Plenty of good places in oz to buy parts

Some pics of ur bus would be nice to see....

Good luck and again welcome to the club

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Get a repair manual (or two). Get you thru most challenges with the KC mob as back-up expertise.

4. CirrusC2

CirrusC2 New Member

G'Day Royce - I am restoring a 1973 Camper, and I was an Aircraft Mechanic by trade as well.

Where are you located? I'm in Mount Barker in the hills.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Aircraft mech's ?
    I expect to see a couple of 'good' engines and gearboxes :)

have fun

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

So I wonder how many aircraft mechanics are now plying their trade on Kombis? My CV has Hornet, Mirage, Hercules and would you believe Sabre (the one that was flying at Richmond in the 1980s).

Cheers, Paul

7. roycebus

roycebus New Member

hi paul, spent my time on p3 prions RAAF from 84 -2003 got med discharge

8. roycebus

roycebus New Member

hi cirrusc2, was in the RAAF and now live at glengowrie, this van is a pop top camper so might have to catch up at sometime

9. CirrusC2

CirrusC2 New Member

I worked on that Sabre during my apprenticeship - it's wings were at the Qantas Apprentice Training Centre. I believe parts of it still exist (hopefully not the parts I worked on...) in the flying example at the Temora Air Museum.

10. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

I worked as an instrument fitter/ calibration technician at 492 Sqn and RAAF Base Darwin (1978 - 1985).

cheers, tom

11. sacky

sacky Member

Good to hear of all the good craftsmanship, we may yet get to see a kombi fly.

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

An ex RAAFY, love it. Did you spend any time Townsville? I worked there from 1992 ntill 1996. I was just a civy that looked after all the gardens etc.

13. roycebus

roycebus New Member

what apprentice intake were you on , i was 38 airframe fitters got posted to 492 in jan 86 and spent a few years back in wagga as an instructor