1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from new member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by kmac, Aug 23, 2010.

1. kmac

kmac New Member

Hi all, new to KC and to posting, so not sure I have even done this correctly? Have prev owned a couple of beetles (one being my first car) and a very tired but much loved kombi (camper), oh the fun we had in her. Partner at the time traded her for some zippy black thing, i cried as he drove her away, and still wonder to this day what became of her. Anyhooo.... years on and i still miss her but hopefully will have the opportunity to purchase another in the coming months. Been reading different bits and Melissa (i think) mentioned to get interactive sooner rather than later. Found the chk list good but bit daunting for a newbee, hopefully will be able to get some help when it comes to looking. Things i need to consider are that i will need a car seat fitted, but still want a camper, may not initially be daily ride (who am i kidding), but will likely end up (sooner rather than later) being. What model/make? Where to take him/her to the Dr (mech)? How much to spend? Oh so many questions, are you all still awake, lol. Ok, thats enough ramblings for now. Appreciate any feedback. Look forward your thoughts. K :) Oh bumma, i have put this under wrong area, supposed to be in new members not for sale, lol! Help!! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

welcome to the kombi club kmac
    i was once like you myself, but i found this to be a very helpful website with the folks here are always willing to lend a hand where they can..

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the list does look daunting, but it better to go into it with your eyes open. IMHO you really need to budget a reasonable amount above your purchase price for the unknowns and unseens (nice word eh). When you do some research into the price of getting someone to fix some of the jobs, like rust, suspension and engines you get an appreciation of why you might want to go down that list rather carefully. It really is a good idea to do some learning and DIY some of it.

Good Luck

Adrian

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome kmac. At least you have owned a kombi before so you will know how they drive and handle, thats one good thing in your favour when searching. Good luck. :D

5. kmac

kmac New Member

Thanks guys, will be attempting to navigate the site more, I am oh so computer savvy, lol. Considering I am doing this from my phone (comp on the blink), I am going ok. Melissa, is there any way i can move original post to correct area, New Members? Or just leave it. No matter really i guess. Thanks again. Kris(tina)

6. natishavingfun

natishavingfun New Member

Hi Kristina, welcome to the club, good luck with your search. Your doing well with your phone I usually have loads of typos in when I use mine LOL
    Nat xx

7. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

Hi kmac

welcome to the club. It's always nice to see a new member sign up from SA. Starting talking on the forum before you buy's a good idea, well done.

There are a few highly regarded VW mechanics in SA but which one may be the best for you may come down to where you live. Cartek at corner of cross roads and south road Edwardstown is pretty hard to go past. I'm now 80 odd k's away from them but still use them.

I have a child seat bolt in my 76 but I have a microbus. I'm not sure how you go with a baby seat and a rock&roll seat in the back like a camper but someone here will have an answer I'm sure of it.

as for how much to spend, well generally the more you spend the better, but it comes down to how much you actually have to spend and what model your after.

I'll put it out there tho…

Bay window kombi:
    its not often you'll find a nice "daily" condition Bay window camper for under 10k it's possible to spend over double that. You do pay a bit of a premium for early bay window kombi's known as lowlights as they have a few small features that everyone seems to love.

Split screen kombi:
    it's not often you'll find a nice "daily" condition Split camper for under 30k, but once again, it's possible to spend well over double that.

I know nothing about the "newer" kombi prices, t3's, t4's & t5's so someone else might have to comment.

that being said, there really is a Kombi out there for everyone with any budget.

good luck

Corey

8. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

oh and it look's like mel has already moved this for you ;)

9. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Hey welcome to the pack! Always awesome to see another S'alien here!

Look forward to seeing your new beastie on the road, when you find it.

10. kmac

kmac New Member

Hey guys, yay for SA! Nat and Goblin Girl, thanks for your warm welcome. Corey too, and thanks for the info, much appreciated. I am North so Edwardstown not a huge distance. Thanks for the info re makes and models too. I did have the same thought about the bed and putting an anchor point in, hopefully someone has found a way. I love the look of the split window but not sure if finances will allow it, lol. I guess i want a reliable clean camper to have fun in. Would love to have a real head turner, but guess thats something to work towards. I am happy to give most non mechanical things a go (cosmetic fix ups) but rust removal would certainly be beyond me, lol. My budget is probably going to be 10k, hopefully more. Hoping this will get me a fun bus in relatively good nick. Looked at ebay, trading post, carsales etc to try and get an idea, and have seen a few that caught my eye. Guess i will keep browsing. Again, any advice would be super. Can't wait to get behind that big steering wheel again, lol! Thanks again. Kris

11. kmac

kmac New Member

Oh yeah, thanks for moving me Mel :)

12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

13. old skool

old skool New Member

Hi Kmac :) - and welcome!

South Australia strikes KC again.......WoHooooooooo!:p - bonus if your in the hills...:D

Leigh.

14. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Kmac, don't rule out looking interstate, there's dealers here in SA who snap up any bargain they see and ship it out overseas so it is getting hard to find anything within a decent price.

And if you see one you like, don't be scared to stick a note under the windscreen wipers enquiring if its for sale. Many kombis change hands through word of mouth without ever being advertised anywhere.

15. kmac

kmac New Member

Hey Leigh, thanks for that. Not quite in the hills but close, lol. Goblin Girl - i had noticed that there are rarely any Kombi's for sale here, didnt realise they were being snapped up and shipped out:( ! Guess the only issue with interstate buying is its hard to pop over and have a look, lol. But...having said that i am hoping as i get to know people both here and interstate local knowledge mite be my friend :) thanks again. Have a great day all. Kris:D

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC Kris, hope you find the bus of your dreams.:)

17. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

as far as cars interstate, you can always ask on here, someone might live close enough and be willing to have a look for you. Another option is to get a VW mechanic to give you an assessment.

10grand sounds like a healthy budget to me.

Just like Goblin said, many kombi's are picked up word of mouth. so many of the good ones don't even get advertised. Make it you mission to mention to anyone who'll listen that your after a kombi. Then the only thing you need now is a bit of time to wait for the right one to show it's head, it's out there

good luck

18. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

1 last thing i forgot.

I just saw your post on the Geelong revolks thread, made me think of something else.

I personally think that at the VW car shows that you find fairer priced VW's than you normally do on ebay or trading post etc. That's from what I have seen anyway.

Volksfest at Port Adelaide is in November. Cross your fingers and bring your wallet ;)

19. kmac

kmac New Member

Hey Brian and Cathy, thanks, and sure I will find him/her, eventually. Just doing my research at the moment and talking to everyone (that will listen/read :) ) on KC. Corey, many thanks again. Will definately check out Volksfest at Pt Adelaide. Is there a date i can pencil in my diary? Have been checking out up-coming events in SA so i can perhaps attend, sans Kombi :umm: and meet some SA members. Ta muchly. Ciao. Kris

20. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

not sure of the date Kris, keep checking the SA events, it will be announced in there at some stage.