1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotwire alloy wheels- lug nuts needed

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Nitram, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If length is too short with tapered washer then it should be ok to turn off the taper on bolt ?
    If other dimensions suitable

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Studs.

The thread needs to go into the hex section as the wall thickness of the shank is far too thin. I had Hotwires and I sheared a few of them when tightening them by hand until I sourced some thinner washers from ROH.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Meant wheel nut. :eek:

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good point. Recall seeing quite a few cracked ones.
    Recon quality could be a factor on some as well.

Seem to recall a need to source good ones in the day rather than accept anything from auto retail shops.

A careful check re depths and possibility of turning the taper off may be worthwhile given the fact that mags usualy reduce thread contact from 19mm to 12-14mm.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The wall thickness was probably only about 1.5mm on the Hotwire nuts. I think that all of the parallel shank nuts are the same during manufacture until they are drilled and threaded so you may be able to get a M12 or 1/2" and redrill/rethread if they are 17.55mm shank.

They are probably made from a 3/4" hex bar turned down to 11/16" for the shank.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Hi Nitram, the benefit of cleaning out the shed is I have a set of shanked nuts and washers that came with my Sampson Magnums 5 slotters all those years ago (replaced by shiny new nut bits). They just might work with your Hotwire's. They measure:

21 mm nut
    17.5 mm shank diameter
    20 mm shank length
    M14 x 1.5 mm female thread
    40 mm total length
    25 mm washer outside diameter
    3 mm washer thickness

Happy to talk further if interested. A mag wheel/tyre shop should be able to offer new bits. Mine did and still does.

PS. The Sampson Magnum 14 x 7 JJ 5 slotters (NOT JELLY BEAN), shanked nuts and washers are for sale and will be put up one day soon.

Good luck with the hunt.

oldman likes this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I’m interested. Nitram’s original post was from 2013 so I’d hazard a guess that Nitram is sorted now. ;)

We’re both on the coast too! I can come down to Woy Woy. Perhaps PM me details? I’ll PM my phone number just in case you’d prefer to give me a call.

8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Oooooops. My bad.. PM sent.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  9. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yep, got the PM thanks :).
    I’ve also emailed Nice Parts to see what’s around that’s new.