1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW? Knock down rivets and hub cap clips.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by 68BUS, Aug 25, 2011.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks, I bought these of Roy.
    http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/products/4/826/hub_cap_clips_55-70/
    The rivets included I have called 'knock down rivets'.

Do I just drill out the old brockek one, put this one through and give it a belt with a hammer across the grain from behind? Or are they designed to have two hammers hitting them simutaniously on both sides to flatten them?
    Or do I put it through and find something solid - eg fence post - to hold the domed front while I smash the back??

Thanks,
    Brad

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

You need a cup head punch and a heavy hammer

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The largest I have is a concave for 3inch nails. Happy to get a bigger one.
    Whats the technique? I take it if I am to use a punch then I need the force acting in oposing directions but in line with the ricket to bell out the raw end like a pop rivet gun would.
    Whats the best way to do this whilst leaving the hup cap tag tight to the wheel rim? (ie, not bashing it and creating a gap that allows the hubcap tab to swivel out of line whilst driving therefore letting the hubcap fly off?)

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Or alternatively, Would it be worth forgetting about the knock down rivets anf put in a heavy duty pop rivit instead?

5. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

thats what I'd be doing.If it doesn't work(but it should)you can drill out the rivets.

6. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Put the punch(a pin punch or bolt can be used) in the bench vice,sit the rivet on the punch and with some one holding it in place pein the rivet until it is tight whilst ensuring the clip is sitting straight.Then have a beer,continue to the next rivet being careful not to hit fingers.

7. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi Brad
    I re-clipped my '69 rims recently and used ordinary blind rivets - fixed from the back. To use these you need to countersink the back of the rim so as to recess the rivet.

Took me a while for the first couple and then did a whole rim (5 clips) in about an hour.

You can use the rivets provided but they are heavy duty and apparently require a special tool and a peening hammer.

Cheers,
    Mark

8. bulletz

bulletz New Member

This is what you need... easy to make too!

Grab a bolt about 4" long. Grab your grinder and square off one side so the clip fits in nicely. Drill a dimple in the top to position the rivet and your done...
    .. Now grab your favourite BFH and beat the crap outta them rivets!! :lol:

Better than pop rivets that tend to come loose. These buggers stay tight for ever!

Attached Files:

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks all,
    With this advice I will work out a way to do it at home. Unfortunately I dont have a bench vice hear and this is a task for my hangover sunday after a bucks, so wont be going driving to shed.
    Luckily I only need to replace about 7 in total, so shouldnt take too long.